Seat cushion reconstruction

mjvaughan

Recruit
I need to build new seat cushions for my boat-the flat boards the upholstery is stapled to. My question is, after I cut them out of 1/2" plywood can I cover them in a layer of chopped strand or mat to add strength and waterproof them? Or would this make them too hard to staple through? What is the proper way, or ideal way to rebuild these?

I am concerned that when people get in and out of the boat they will be strong enough to step on.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Seat cushion reconstruction

You could probably get away with coating the boards with a light layer of CSM and use more heavy duty Stainless Steel staples to secure the vinyl to them.

If the old boards are showing signs of being cracked, then it would indicate that they were not strong enough for the use. So, you could go by that indication.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How old is the boat? What style of seats? Got any pics? Epoxy would be the best coating, however some polyurethane and a couple of coats of OilBased paint would prolly last 25 years. The bottom of seats usually don't get much water, sun or other abuse. I'd also recommend stainless staples and using a pneumatic stapler. Manual or Electric staplers just don't have the OOOOMPH to drive the staples.:eek:

mjvaughan

Recruit

1986 searay Seville. I have replaced the floor and now in the process of laying down the final layers of csm on the top side of everything. I am building custom seating so I have to make the cushions pretty much. I have 3 gallons of poly resin so I am not going to use epoxy. If the 1/2" is strong enough I guess I could forgo the resin and just paint them so the staples would not have a problem penetrating. I was just wanting to know how people usually build them.