Flat bottom with weak transom

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Flat bottom with weak transom

ACX exterior plywood, not pressure treated, laminate 2pieces of 3/4" plywood together w/ titebond3

MikDee

Banned

Woodonglass, and jbcurtoo , Have the right idea, I was gonna suggest the same exact fix! Then you'll be all set!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Your boat used to look like this before it was bastardized:

Your boat is only rated for a 35 hp. max, here's the specs for a 1648 Lowe jon:
http://www.loweboats.com/2014/jon-boats/L1648-Jon/

As I see it, you have 3 options:
1. Keep the motor and get another boat rated for that horse power. (best)

2. Keep the boat and get a smaller motor and build back the structural support that was removed. (second best)

3. Spend the money to modify and strengthen your boat and keep the same motor. (iffy)

Increasing your transom height and installing bigger braces may help a little bit, but your hull is still going to be weak and you will experience hull twist and flex which is going to make performance "squirrely" at best without adding more hull support.

I suggest modifying your transom as described above, build a full width bench seat where you seats are now, and adding at least another 4 feet of length to your front deck. Done properly, all of this should increase the performance and handling of your boat to a manageable level.

huntingtheworld

Petty Officer 1st Class

YUP ^^^^ Kinda where I was goin!!

I planned on building a full transom with wood and more braces and putting wood on the deck and extending it 4 foot and laying down a floor.sound good? When I run full speed or ect the sides don't flex.i checked that when I got it.but then if I have to I'll do some kind of brace on the side in the back.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

A good source for aluminum to make the braces is the scrap yard and get an aluminum road sign. I sheet of 3/4" ext grade plywood should be enuf to make your transom like JBC says glue 2 pieces together using TiteBond III wood glue Then Coat it with the old time sealer mix of 1 Part Boiled Linseed Oil 2 parts Mineral Spirits and 1 part Marine Varnish Let it dry for 3 days and then Paint it with 3 coats of Oil based Paint. It will last for Years.

bassmanhb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

huntingworld, I would be way more concerned about how much money you have..... because if something happens and someone gets hurt either in your boat with you or you hit something/someone.... your insurance will not pay for anything if you have the boat over powered... best advice I would give, get a smaller motor for the boat plus if you live in a state like I do the wardens stop you once and while and check the boat for safety equipment and such and they see its over its a big time fine here...

bass

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I planned on building a full transom with wood and more braces and putting wood on the deck and extending it 4 foot and laying down a floor.sound good? When I run full speed or ect the sides don't flex.i checked that when I got it.but then if I have to I'll do some kind of brace on the side in the back.

Your boat is more than 50% over powered, doesn't have nearly enough floatation foam, and is very weak. Even if you build it back like it was designed it would still be unsafe because of being over powered. These are the kind of boats people get killed in and kill other people, and if you or someone else are real real lucky you'll only get maimed/crippled for life.

If you want to run that motor on that boat I recommend a very strong overbuild... not an "if it needs it" build.

Safe boating is not overrated!!!

Last edited: