1992 Skimmer 18' Flat Bottom Skiff Restoration

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Look. A big pile of free resin thickener. (After it is sifted of course).

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhhmmm it's been discussed before here on the forum and using grinding dust as a thickener is not a good idea. Even if you sift it, it will still contain left over molecules of Styrene etc from the previous mix which can and will interfere with the new chemical mix. Cabosil is Really Cheap and it's just not worth it to use that stuff and chance having issues because of it.

Last edited:

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
so I decided on a second round of grinding even though it was the last thing I wanted to do. Then I filled the big keel void with hairy PB and then did a wet-on-wet layup of 2 layers of CSM, a thin strip of 1708 and a leyer of 38oz stitchmat. Now when I go to fillet the keel stringer I'll have something work with.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Darn Studio....You keep that up you won't even need to put wood in that keel. Looks Great. Nice thread here.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
so I decided on a second round of grinding even though it was the last thing I wanted to do. Then I filled the big keel void with hairy PB and then did a wet-on-wet layup of 2 layers of CSM, a thin strip of 1708 and a leyer of 38oz stitchmat. Now when I go to fillet the keel stringer I'll have something work with.
No fun pulling out the grinder again when you thought you were done with it. You are doing nice work, though, so keep it up and you'll have a boat to proud of! Great work!

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Spent the entire day fabricating, dry fitting, glassing, filleting and pre-treating the keel stringer. I ran of of energy and daylight before I could PB it to the hull.

Last edited:

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is the joint. Just repeating how it was made the first time around. I just made the joint a lot larger than the original builders.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhhhmmm that's what I thought. I wish I would have known. :blue: You could have made it with out that bump and made it much cleaner and stronger if you would have staggered the lay up like this...

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thought about that. What's done is done. It's a little extra glass but I'm not sweating it. There's gonna be enough 1708 on it to make it into a diving board. I'll remember that for the next boat. :)

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Given the limitations of where I'm working and the fact that I didnt look much beyond the original design below deck I just thought I would plow ahead with the original plan. I admit I don't really like the "joint bump" either and if I had more time and space for assembly I might have gone the other way out. In the grand scheme it's not the end of the world seeing as how the foam is such a part of the structure. It isn't pretty but when fully glassed and surrounded by foam I don't think it will be going anywhere.

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Filleting all done on the keel stringer. Tabbing it in right now. Pics later.

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can put some more details when I'm not working off an iPhone but the keel stringer is now mostly complete as far as tabbing and filleting. I only tabbed with a layer of CSM until I can get the the real layers of 1708. I just wanted to hold it in place until I can get back to work in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not a biggie but the PB will hold it in place just fine until your ready to lay the 1708. The CSM isn't really necessary, doesn't add much strength, just uses up your resin. I just coat the bottoms and about an inch up then PB them in, when I'm ready for the next round I only have to sand the fillet area. No foul though, just unnecessarily wastes some resin and you layup looks good!

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
The CSM isn't really necessary, doesn't add much strength, just uses up your resin.

I was actually using the CSM to smooth out the surface of the fillet a bit and create a greater, more uniformly rounded bonding surface for the 1708 - or at least that was my thinking. As for it soaking up extra resin.. Yes - it does that quite well. I just always went on the assumption that the 1708 would like nothing better than a fresh layer of CSM to adhere to.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well studio you know it's our job to give you a hard time! If you get the right PB mix, a freezer bag, a spoon, a bondo spreader and some acetone with a little practice you can make a near perfect fillet and as Wood says, after much research, the CSM on the 1708 is more than adequate. If you continue this we are going to withhold your PB badge!