Fiberglassing my boat deck

Rvincent802

Recruit
Howdy....so I've torn up all the decking on my Bayliner Capri 1950 and am starting the process of putting a new deck in. I'm going to use a Marine Grade plywood for the deck then put new carpet in. I'm wondering if I will need to resin/lay fiberglass mat on the entire deck or just the seams? Also, any recommendations on a good place to purchase fiberglassing products? I'm assuming its going to take at least 10-15 gallons of resin if I need to coat the entire floor. Any advice is much appreciated.

-Ryan

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Fiberglassing my boat deck

iBoats sells resin, I believe. Also, US Composites is a favorite.

10-15 gallons sounds like way too much . . I'm thinking maybe 4 gallons for just the decking.You don't need marine grade plywood. Exterior grade is almost as good (same adhesive in the plys) and far less expensive. It is best to glass the entire deck . . . else you will have a giant sponge as a deck.

How was all the stuff below deck when you pulled things up? No use putting a new deck over a structure that is wet and deteriorating.

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would give this YouTube channel a thorough look before you move too fast.. If you just put wood down you'll be replacing it in no time.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What penfield said ^^^^^

Plus:

There's more to glassing in a deck on an f'glass boat than just laying fiberglass and resin.

Any gaps between the deck and hull should be filled with an adhesive filler, then the decking should be tabbed to the hull... then you can glass the deck in.

Here's a diagram:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Howdy....so I've torn up all the decking on my Bayliner Capri 1950 and am starting the process of putting a new deck in. I'm going to use a Marine Grade plywood for the deck then put new carpet in. I'm wondering if I will need to resin/lay fiberglass mat on the entire deck or just the seams? Also, any recommendations on a good place to purchase fiberglassing products? I'm assuming its going to take at least 10-15 gallons of resin if I need to coat the entire floor. Any advice is much appreciated.
-Ryan
15gal is probably about right, IF you haven't replaced the stringers yet:
I've been doing a lot of reading on how to replace the floor in my boat but I was wondering if anyone could point me to the best thread or website with good pictures and maybe some directions/tips. I have to replace the entire floor but am looking to do it without having to cut out the fiberglass seat pedestals. I'm guessing I will have to replace the stringers as well. I'm hoping I wont have to replace the transom. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

Have you replaced them already? ^^^

Rvincent802

Recruit

No I didn't need to replace the stringers. There really wasn't a lot of rot in the floor. Mainly just one area but I wanted to make sure so I ripped the whole floor up. There was a ski well but I'm not puttin it back so I'm going to make new bracing for support where the well used to be. I'm really just wondering if I will need to use fiberglass mat on the entire thing or just poly resin the wood, mat the seems out 6" then lay the carpet over it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'm really just wondering if I will need to use fiberglass mat on the entire thing or just poly resin the wood, mat the seems out 6" then lay the carpet over it.

So the diagram in post #4 didn't work for you?

You will really really really regret just using poly resin alone to seal the wood. Poly resin is weak and brittle without glass cloth or mat to strengthen it, it'll crack peel and flake under your carpet and you'll have loose floppy carpet that'll need to be thrown away and buy new carpet and properly prepare your deck next time.

jbcurt00

Staff member

There was no water logged foam below decks in a nearly 20yr old Bayliner? And no compromised stringers?

If so great, I'd love to see the boat pix while the deck's still pulled up.

Jig's correct, applying poly resin w/ out any fiberglass cloth or mat is false security. It'll seem like a good option when you put down the new carpet. But it is not a sound waterproofing system w/out the cloth/mat. And yep, you'll be throwing out the new carpet & deck sooner then later. Perhaps a little less expensive now, LOTS more expensive later. Esp if the resin alone's failure allows water below decks...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm curious as what you did to check to ensure that the stringers, bulkheads and motor mounts were all sound and not suffering from water intrusion and rot? Did you core sample them? Do Moisture Metering on them? Some other method?? Since the deck is off now would be the time to ensure all is well below deck.