fiberglass repair question

Snouch

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys
just want to know if their are cracks in gelcoat and sanded down to fiberglass and cracks in fiberglass can I apply fiberglass bondo to cracks and then re apply gelcoat on top. Or do I have to apply resin with fiberglass to cracks.

Just some info I purchased a 14 footer fiberglass and I noticed lots of spider cracks on bottom. So I just wanted to know what options I have to repair. I have a one step gel coat but need some prep work ideas for spider cracks before I add the one step gel coat.

thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: fiberglass repair question

If you don't repair the cracks in the glass they will re-appear in the gelcoat once you re-apply it. filling with bondo is not the proper repair. Polyester resin and csm is.

Snouch

Seaman Apprentice

Hi
This is a different boat. Is their a product that I can apply over the old gel coat to fill in all the cracks. Or do I have to sand out all the cracks. Theirs lots of cracks. Basically the whole hull.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Cracks will telegraph thru unless you remove them. Chasing the cracks w/ a dremel tool is sometimes an option, but if most of the hull is spider cracked, remove the gelcoat down to the fiberglass, repair the fiberglass as needed, fill & fair the hull as needed to build the surface back like it was before you removed the gelcoat, apply gelcoat, then cut & buff as necessary.

You'll be working in reverse of how the boat was originally built, gelcoat last over an imperfect surface rather then sprayed 1st onto a mold.

Snouch

Seaman Apprentice

Are their any other ways to cover or repair cracks? Are their 2 part epoxys that I can apply over gel coat to seal cracks. This boat has lots of cracks in gel coat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Are their any other ways to cover or repair cracks? Are their 2 part epoxys that I can apply over gel coat to seal cracks. This boat has lots of cracks in gel coat.

There are a couple of products that claim to possibly do it, but I've never seen it work. So the short answer is no.