Custom bench for my center console?

Larry Tate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, just aquired a 1975 Grady White center console. Will post pics soon. The bench on it is kinda strange and I want to replace it. However the ones you can buy on the internet are all at least over $400. I was thinking of making one out of wood, sealing and painting it and putting some cushions on. Any suggestions? Or links to someone who has completed a similar project? Haven't seen too much about this on the web, most people fork out the cash for the nice pre fabricated ones. I can do that too, but I would rather save the money and design one the way I want it for cheaper. Thanks guys all help is appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Custom bench for my center console?

I'm thinkin' that with some aluminum tubing, plywood, foam, vinyl and sewing machine you could fabricate up something like this for around $100 buck and a few hours of Shop Time...
images

Last edited:

Larry Tate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That looks pretty thorough man...any walkthrough pics? I'm more of an engine guy I need the visual haha

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay Larry try this....... on Route 4 going out of Whitehall towards Fort Ann there is a guy named Keith Longtin who has a BUNCH of older boats. I know he sells parts and he also owns a garage in Whitehall (best place to catch him). He might have an older one that needs to be recovered.

Another alternative is to get a BIG cooler and modify that as a seat and build a back for it so you have a place for the beverages when you are out on Champlain.

Who knows......might see you out there ;) but I normally hang on Bomoseen or the lower end of Champlain below the bridge.

Larry Tate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I might go to the boat Smith in alburg, Whitehall is pretty far from me I'm in Colchester. Would like to get a decent one for cheap. Im in Mallets bay, inland sea and lamoille river. If you're ever in the area stop by dockside outdoors on rt 2 off of exit 17....I'm there all the time and there are usually a good group of knowledgeable fisherman and boaters there. If you're ever in northern chaplain area, that's the spot to be.