Recommendations on plastic flooring

cwoolfolk52

Cadet
I am replacing the wood floor in an old aluminum boat and would really like to go with a long lasting plastic flooring. I know the cost is barely justifiable for an aluminum boat but I would just like some options to choose from. I guess what I'm asking is for the best value/durability on plastic flooring any one can offer from their experiences. Thanks!

jfas

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Recommendations on plastic flooring

I know that a product called starboard is commercially available, but sheets of it are astonishingly expensive. I think a sheet runs around $200. Here's a website I've looked at before specifically for marine grade sheeting.

Interstate Plastics

JFas

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think he's looking for a Trex decking boards type plastic material, not a large 4ft X 8ft plastic sheet.

Properly prepped and maintained a plywood deck, possibly wrapped in vinyl, can last decade after decade. Esp in a aluminum boat.

What boat are you referring to? The one that's going to get the 800Merc when you get the push to start button & panel sorted out?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I've got plain old 1/2" exterior plywood, painted both sides and edges w/oil based paint, in mine. Been in there since 1982 and still in good shape.

If you want something a little different, I've seen a couple of 18 to 19 foot long aluminum skiffs here in San Diego with aluminum check plate (looked like 1/4") as flooring.

cwoolfolk52

Cadet

Ya it's the same boat. It was sitting for a while until I got it over to my place, now just trying to do a little overhaul on it and get it out on the water soon as I can. I like the idea of the plywood wrapped in vinyl though. I had seen the King Starboard plastic sheets and that's really the kind I was hoping to find, just cheaper. I know they are probably worth the money, but it is still a lot of money for this old boat. Thanks for the inputs

Last edited:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Marine plywood is the only way to go on boats. And if you want a plastic floor over that, you can use marine vinyl flooring available at PontoonStuff.com glued to the marine plywood with a special mastic.

cwoolfolk52

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna go with the marine decking. Seems pretty hard to beat for the price!