Crestliner Project- Floor Ideas?

MarkNY

Seaman Apprentice
Last fall i bought a '90 24' Crestliner Sabre G/L outboard model. Ive been looking for this model for quite a while and ended up finding it less than an hour away. Its in great shape. Previous owner kept it in a marina and used it for trolling on lake ontario. It sat all winter and i finally got started on it recently. My plan is to turn this boat into a dual console walk thru open bow. In summer it willl have a softop with rocket launcher system for fishing and during winter that stuff will come off and ill use it for sea duck hunting and for a tender/water taxi for hunting. Have lots of tasks to work through but the first thing on my mind is deciding what type of floor to build. I had thought about putting down an aluminum floor but id have to hire out parts of that job and im not sure how id use the in floor storage with an aluminum floor. Id like non-hinged deck hatches on the floor. So, i think im leaning towards a plywood floor thats encapsulated in epoxy and fiberglass with the intention of spraying the floor and all other surfaces with bed liner. I need to build two consoles too. Any thoughts , ideas or suggestions on building a floor for this boat? thanks alot, mark
[URL="

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Crestliner Project- Floor Ideas?

The deck (floor) of your boat is part of the structural system that connects the stringers ('floor joists') to the hull along it's edges.

I'm not sure how you'd accomplish that if you used an aluminum deck.

Rebuild the deck system similar to how Crestliner did it originally, and be sure to reinforce the gunwales where there used to be structure tying the post & starboard sides together via the cabin bulkhead structure.

You probably need to do some demo, or at least in depth sampling, of the below deck foam & transom to confirm they do or don't also need to be replaced. Based on your pix it could go either way:
1398991951_zpsa2ce7009.jpg

Since it's an aluminum boat, any stringers or bulkheads that work w/ your new layout, can be reused.