29' chris craft 1979.

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm interested in this boat.catilina exspress.maybe.only got one picture.it has trailer needs tires.he has the engines and transmissions already out of boat.sound hull he says.
I'm curious about what engines and trans they are.theres two of each.i can get for 800 and only hour away.wouldnt just the trans be worth couple thousand by there self? Witch I would love to restore to.any info on the motors it came out with and the trans be great.names ect.i could spend 10 years on this thing, but will it be worth it.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 29' chris craft 1979.

It will only be worth what the market says it is worth and what ever value you give it on top of that, to you only...
35 year old boats are prime candidates for complete restoration.
Extremely careful inspection by your self is warranted so that you are aware of what you are going to be getting your self into.
If you are serious about this boat, you should be willing to take the time to go and make a thorough inspection of it, take lots of pictures and think and plan what it is going to take to restore this boat.
Time, blood, sweat, tears and money are the things it will demand of you if you decide to tackle this project.
From the sound of it, you will have to spend at least a couple of hundred, or more, just to get tires on the trailer to haul it home, plus your fuel...and that's if the wheel bearings are up to the task...Oh yeah, and if Johnny Law is strict around your parts, you better be prepared to get the trailer lights working, too...
If the boat has not been properly stored you can bet it will need all of the substructure redone.
Same goes for the engines and drive lines...they could easily be seized or worse...
No matter how much of an Honest Joe the previous owner seems to be, don't take his word for anything related to the boat...:rolleyes:
Just trying to give you a bit of a heads up...
Good luck and let us know what you decide...
GT1M:)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Great advice above, I have yet to see any boat restoration that is financially effective regarding resale. Best case, you will end up with a nice running 35 year old boat, that will cost you more than "the market" will pay when selling comes into the picture. The few hundred hours, and the cost of bringing this boat back from the grave, can be fun, but it's never financially advisable. The restoration section here is the best place to learn(spend a few hours reading) what you are proposing to do. Many examples of others doing what you are considering. If you love this boat, plan the project out, most folks are not aware of the amount of effort and $$ it takes to make a 35 year old boat functional and safe. Most do it for the love of the boat, not because there is any financial ROI, new power is costly, but so is everything else marine related. Post up some pictures of this boat, you will get much more info by doing this.

Last edited:

boatermarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm gonna go look at it,but yeah its Florida boat so saltwater who knows.im trying to get the guy to charge me a storage fee for like year, if I buy.be easier to put in water there and bring here with having 10.8 beam.thanks for advice, that's what I'm worried about bearings.do you guys know if it had the velvet drives, and maybe got 327 motors?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I personally don't know Chris Crafts all that well...
If you get up to look at it be sure to look for the HIN and any ID plates on the drives, etc...
Take lots of good pictures and then post them here for the guys who know these boats can help you ID it...
The fact that it is a "saltwater" boat has very little bearing on whether or not it has rot...
As a matter of fact, the rot that infests wood does not grow well in saltwater...
It is the rain water that gets into the boat that, unless it is allowed to drain almost immediately and the inside of the hull is kept dry, will allow the fungus that causes rot to form...