1959 Lone Star Malibu - First Restoration Boat

jewski

Cadet
We just bought this boat! We want to complete the restoration project someone else started. The boat comes with a restored/refurbished 1957 Johnson 18hp motor, the windshield, all controls (including electric start), original metal "Lone * Star" emblems for the side of the boat, lights, cleats, stealing wheel, etc. I will post pics of motor and accessories when I have them in hand.

I would like to paint this myself in the next few weeks. Any suggestions, links, etc, on how to do this would be helpful.

I've read you need to acid wash it first, then use self etching primer, then regular primer, then paint. Does that sound right?

Any suggestions on brands, types, etc.

I've also read that this year/model came in a choice of 4 accent colors - red, blue, yellow or coral. Does anyone have a pic of any lone star in the coral? I can find all the other colors, but think the coral would be cool because it's very "period" and different from the crowd!! Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1959 Lone Star Malibu - First Restoration Boat

This is the only color pix of a vintage LoneStar I could find not in red, blue or yellow. Coral????
petersen_museum_fins-18.jpg

I don't know, but if I had to use a pink boat, this ^^^ would certainly be one I'd be proud to be seen in.

NICE looking Malibu you drug home, looking forward to seeing it rehabbed & put back in service.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Nice find you have there, there are few Lone Star guys around here. You have fins on the back, which makes this very cool in my book. I'm doing a 59-60 glass Lone Star restoration. Your project will be relatively easy, tin boats always are IMO. Preparation is the key to making that gem look nice Paint wise, others will pipe in and guide you. Keep posting your progress, it motivates all of us to finish what we started! Welcome.

jewski

Cadet

Thanks for the hearty "welcome"! I hope I don't wear it out with all my questions!

I appreciate the tips on painting, and pic of the coral color - it is cool, but even too pink for me (I'm sure as a female, I'm in the minority of people restoring a vintage boat)! Actually, my husband and I are doing it together - I'm in charge of all things esthetic and research oriented, and he is in charge of all things mechanical. We make a good pair.

Ok, tonight's questions...
1.) I have attached pics of the Lone*Star emblems that go on the boat. I am wondering the best way to "clean/polish" them. I believe they are aluminum, and don't want to break them. Any suggestions are welcome.

image.jpg

image.jpg

2.) we have a friend who owns a auto body shop. He has quoted us $600 to etch prime, regular prime and paint the boat. That seems like a decent deal, thoughts? Is there any difference in automotive paint and boat paint? I've decided to go with aquamarine color.

image.jpg

3.) Here's some pics of the motor. I'll post better ones soon. It hasn't been started in a few years and we are going to take the boat and motor out this weekend for a motor test and leak check. Any advise appreciated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

jbcurt00

Staff member

What do you plan to use the boat for once it's done? The 18hp will move it, might get it on plane, but it likely won't be more then a leisurely cruiser.

If you have any trouble getting the motor running great, start a thread in the Johnson OB forum.

Not sure what the emblems were made out of, but it may be an inexpensive metal that was chrome plated. If so, you may need to have them re-chromed. Silver powdercoat may be an option.

If they are in better condition then it appears, you might try Mother's metal/aluminum polish. I suspect they are more fragile then you'd expect metal emblems to be, so be gentle........

jewski

Cadet

At this point all we need is a cruiser. Something small that me or our daughters can take out.

We have a big 1983 Glastron deck boat (12 person capacity) we use as our primary boat (ski, tube, wakeboard, large groups, etc). And an old 12 foot aluminum fishing boat, for fishing (obviously). Nothing "NEW" here!

Eventually we will want (or need) to get rid of the Glastron, then we will probably look at getting a bigger motor.

The emblem pieces are rather fragile, that's why I was asking. Is there something they con soak in? What about spraying them with a clear gloss?

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

My emblems which are identical are chrome plated "pot metal" which means either re-chrome or replace. Mine have the same chrome defects too. I think they make reproductions but haven't verified this. Maybe others have been down this road and can offer other ideas.

jewski

Cadet

Thanks for quick response. Ball park on cost to rechrome? And who does that? I also have the original light I need rechromed. So finding someone to do that is on my To Do list. Body shop?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Tagging along if there's room !
Cool boat for restoration ! Aqua marine color would look great .. :cool:
Why not paint it yourself ? Save some money and when the heads start turning you will have the satisfaction of telling everyone you did it yourself ..:joyous:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Re-Chroming can be Quite PRICEY! Be Prepared!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Someone on iboats re-chromed a smaller original bow light, and got the friend price of nearly $300, IIRC

jewski

Cadet

How tacky would it be to clean the emblem pieces and just put a clear gloss finish on them?

jewski

Cadet

I just re-read through the painting guide Woodonglass posted a link for, and think maybe I can paint it myself! But a couple questions first...

If the boat will be in the water (fresh water lake) all summer (no lift) do I need anti fouling paint on the outside?

The Link recommended Majik primer, would it be recommended to use their paint too? If so, I'd guess this type: Diamondhard Applications - Majic Paints
Yes? No?

Not sure if mine is a 1959 or 1960, but would like to paint it like the 1960.
http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/c/cc/Lonestarb60009.jpg
Specifically the Coranodo at the bottom but with the aquamarine where it is red.
For the charcoal stripe, would that be paint or some sort of pinstripe or vinyl decal?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmm, If it's gunna be immersed for more than a few weeks you prolly don't wanna use the paint I recommend. It's for "Trailer Queen" boats. Marina Boats need Marina Paint. It's a different breed and about double the cost. A lot of guys like Awlgrip. One of our members painted his old classic with SuperMarine Paint with outstanding results. I'd check it out. It's a real good paint.
SM-1000 Revolution Marine Paint Gallon

You could get a vinyl decal for the stripe or tape it off and paint it yourself. Your choice.

Last edited:

jewski

Cadet

Ok, thanks! Would j still use the same primers you recommended? How about the extender/hardeners?

I'm assuming that I would paint the white part with the marine paint. What paint would you recommend for the aqua and black?

Can you "tint" the marine paint with acrylic paints like you mentioned for the other paint? If so, I'm thinking I could do all the white, then tint some if the same the marine part aqua blue for the accent. Does that make sense?

About how much paint do you need to cover a 14' aluminum boat?

jbcurt00

Staff member

You should stick w/ the same paint 'family' for primer & paint.

I don't think you can self tint the SM-1000-g paint, its listed as:
Product type: Silicone Alkyd Epoxy-Ester Copolymer Coating

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The SuperMarine Folks will Custom Make Any color paint you can dream up. Just give em a call and talk with their techs. They're super helpful folks. One of our members painted his classic Glastron with their paint and he loved it. I agree with JBC. I'd stay with the same Paint Line all across the board.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Didn't Andgott use it for his Lake & Sea too?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, that's the Guy!!!

1016inwater2.jpg

Last edited: