Removing molded in non skid from deck

talkinghead4

Cadet
I am restoring my 1987 17ft. McKee Craft South Porter and want to remove the mold in non skid from the deck so I can later paint it with Griptex type non skid.

Help me get through this misrable chore quickly! A 5 inch orbital sander is slow, Belt sander may gouge out to much.
Would a 7 inch sander work, if so what grit? I am open to any suggestions to get me through this. I don't want to spend money only find I am buying the wrong sander or grit.

Those who have done this in the past, how did y'all do this with efficent success?

Thankx,
Mark

jfas

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Removing molded in non skid from deck

Hey Mark,

Are you talking about the black/green/white stuff that grows on things that are left in the fridge too long? If so, would bleach and a good scrubbing do the trick? I have also had good luck with bar keepers friend and a product made by Starbright, simply called their deck wash.

Pics may help also.

JFas

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class

The best thing I have found to remove mold from non skid is the Starbright deck wash that jfas noted then blow it off with a good power washer.

Dave

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Actually folks I think he is referring to the non-skid pattern that is molded into his deck, not mold growing on his deck, unless I read it wrong. If my thinking is correct, maybe a better way to solve your problem is to sand the top section smooth and fill in the patterned area with a two part type epoxy filler and let it flow smooth filling it up to the level of the rest of the deck. Then you can apply anything over that area you want too... Hope that helps... :confused:

talkinghead4

Cadet

gm280, You got it! I like your ideal. Funny you should suggest that because if I sand down the non skid in the deck then I would have a low area where the non skid was.

Thanks,Mark