20' 83 century 3000 Cindy with some rot!

boatingfun

Seaman Apprentice
Last year I bought this boat for $500
My wife's uncles boss gave it to him after sitting for 5 years.
Was completely winterized and shrink wraped when he got it.
he couldn't get engine to turn over so I bought it thinking I was gonna put ne engine in.
I put a new battery in and after about 10 minutes of moving out drive up and down it started turning over. boy was i happy.

I turned the key a few more times to make sure I wasnt dreaming and the engine actually started on 5 year old gas. Boy was I surprised.
Last year I replaced manifolds and risers did sea pump and oil changes drained gas and I ran it with no issues. Did notice it would take a little water in bilg area and floor in cutty was always wet. This year I did gimbal bearing bellows and trim sender and limit. It apears to be running good so im thinking of going at the rot. I dont know how many hours on the drive system but it does smoke for about 30 sec when first starts after sitting.
There are rotted spots on floor in isolated areas but overall seems solid. Interior is in desent shape for an 83 boat.
After going through post here im thinking of pulling up floor to see how bad it is.and redoing the floor. transom and motor mounts seem to be solid.

Can anyone tell me what the 4" tubes are by transom. There is one on each side. black flex hose?
I can't seem to upload photos so here is a link to the photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jk3ue236iorvozd/qvlRZsvAEn

Last edited:

boatingfun

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 20' 83 century 3000 Cindy with some rot!

One more question...
im in the restoration buisness. Ill go in after a flood or pipe beaks and dry out buildings with special drying equipment.
Has anyone tryed this with wet boats.?
In my industry we use to just cut out all wet materials but with advances in technology and training we dry almost everything.
just a thought?

briangcc

Commander

If you look through any number of restoration posts here, you're going to come to the following theme: Boats rot from the bottom up, not the top down.

A rotten floor usually indicates rotten stringers and a rotten transom. So, going off all the other experiences here, you're looking at a full tear down. There's only 1 way to know for sure - drill some test holes as low as you can get to the hull in the transom and stringers. Wet shavings mean you have saturated wood that is compromised and needs to be replaced.

From what I've seen in the other restoration threads here, drying anything is a waste of time and energy.

The black flex hose is for your blower. One end low in the bilge to suck the fumes into the blower and then be exhausted out through a vent high up either on the transom or somewhere on the side of your boat.

For photos, sign up for a free Photobucket account and then copy & paste the IMG line in your post. You'll end up with something like this:

boatingfun

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your advice . I was thinking it would probably have to be completely torn out and redone.
Any ideas how to seal up hatch door so it doesn't leak. That seams to be my main source of a wet boat. When ever it rains it gets in even with mooring cover on.

aedwards514

Cadet

I have a 85 Century 4000 that I am currently redoing the transom in it. As you get into it, I bet your transom is going to be rotten. I thought mine was good, until I pulled the motor and that is when I seen it.....ROTTEN:mad-new:

boatingfun

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 85 Century 4000 that I am currently redoing the transom in it. As you get into it, I bet your transom is going to be rotten. I thought mine was good, until I pulled the motor and that is when I seen it.....ROTTEN:mad-new:
Are you just doing the transom? I put a moisture meter to mine and its at 15% moisture content which isn't real high. far down as I could get. I recently installed a transducer for my fish finder on the transom outside the boat. No dark shavings when I drilled.
All the exposed foam where the wood is wet isn't wet either.
I'm thinking I may run it for the season than make it a winter project. I would rather not lose a season of boating. Its a tailored boat so its not in the water all the time.

aedwards514

Cadet

Are you just doing the transom? I put a moisture meter to mine and its at 15% moisture content which isn't real high. far down as I could get. I recently installed a transducer for my fish finder on the transom outside the boat. No dark shavings when I drilled.
All the exposed foam where the wood is wet isn't wet either.
I'm thinking I may run it for the season than make it a winter project. I would rather not lose a season of boating. Its a tailored boat so its not in the water all the time.

Yeah, I had a pretty good feeling the transom was rotten. It ended up being really bad. The motor mounts are rotten as well.