68 glastron 146V

whitetonto

Cadet
My father and I have decided to try and restore my grandfather's old fishing boat. It is a 1968 Glastron 146V. It needs a fair amount of work and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience restoring this type of boat, or any images that might help us. I've found that it is very difficult to get information about this particular boat. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 68 glastron 146V

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Post up some pictures of what ya got,...

Ask yer questions, 'n We'll try 'n answer 'em,...

whitetonto

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Post up some pictures of what ya got,...

Ask yer questions, 'n We'll try 'n answer 'em,...

Thank you! i'll work on getting pictures posted. Any help would be great.

jbcurt00

Staff member

68gl-v146.jpg

More info is available then you think
Relevant details:
Glastronbb003.jpg

Welcome to iboats, and put up some pix when you can. Pix post info:
PHOTO Posting Instructions

whitetonto

Cadet

More damaged photos.

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated.. thanks

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard !
Ya got your work cut out for you on this one ! Complete gut job and maybe 1500 to 2000 bucks to make it seaworthy again . Maybe less if you can find a cheap source for supply's . Just make sure you want to spend the money and time before you start .
That being said there is no better place to learn than right here !

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'd guess a little less for materials, but still $1200-1500, since it's a fairly small 14ft boat.

The exterior damage can be repaired during the course of the put back, so don't be overly concerned w/ the tears the motor mount made in the exterior skin.

Get in there and pull anything that's completely rotten & already loose out. And then take some more pix. The $1500 may be a several hundred high if your stringers are in good shape, and aren't wood encased in fiberglass. My 1960 Glastron has glass only stringers, so I won't be removing or replacing them.

whitetonto

Cadet

I'd guess a little less for materials, but still $1200-1500, since it's a fairly small 14ft boat.

The exterior damage can be repaired during the course of the put back, so don't be overly concerned w/ the tears the motor mount made in the exterior skin.

Get in there and pull anything that's completely rotten & already loose out. And then take some more pix. The $1500 may be a several hundred high if your stringers are in good shape, and aren't wood encased in fiberglass. My 1960 Glastron has glass only stringers, so I won't be removing or replacing them.

Thanks for the estimates. We weren't sure if it would be worth it or not. I know my dad would love to see it running through. I guess we'll have to just see if it's going to be possible.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome, cool old boat!! Take lots and lots of pictures, they will be invaluable when its time to go back together!! Great folks here with a lot of expertise to offer, just ask your questions and someone will pipe in.....

Good luck!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's my thoughts...If the motor is still a good runner, and if you still have sentimental attachment to the boat, and if you want to invest the time, effort and dollars ( I agree with the lower guess-ti-mate IF the motor does not need work) then I'd say restore her. As far as finding specific info on the boat it's really not necessary for the restoration. All Fiberglass boat construction and re-construction is pretty much the same. The experts here on the forum will be able to guide you through the process and help you bring your boat back to Like new condition as long as your willing to put forth the above mentioned three items.