Painting Aluminum Boat With Metal Flake Paint?

cscott711

Cadet
I'm looking and hoping to buy a nice older Crestliner Vanguard this weekend. The interior is in great shape, but there is significant dock rash on the sides. So, I'm pondering a new paint job. I got a ball park quote for $850 plus the cost of paint.

I can't seem to find much information on metal flake painting on aluminum boats. I don't really know if it's a big deal or not? Also, what's your guys opinions on the metal flake? Is that outdated or might it look good? I was thinking I'd go with a pearl white paint/flake and then get new Crestliner decals to put on it. Maybe add a couple pin stripes to it as well.

Thoughts?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Painting Aluminum Boat With Metal Flake Paint?

Uhmmm MetalFlake can run upwards of $1,000 for the Paint so if you want to spend almost $2,000 on a Paint Job for your boat then I suppose if your painter KNOWS what he's doing he could make it work.

jbcurt00

Staff member

At least 1 aluminum boat has metal flake, but you'd do best to ask Odessey directly about the prep, paint & durability..
[h=1]1967 Starcraft 15' Jet Star Restoration[/h]
20130414_151733_zpsd890f00e.jpg

I can't recall if he sprayed it or paid to have it done or what kind of paint he used.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I'd hate to think I wasted so much money on a paint job for such an old boat. The return on the investment would be nil, and it's doubtful the paint job would hold up if left much in the water--or out inthe sun.

Most people just put a coat of self etching primer and then paint such boats with plain old Rustoleum enamel--with a hardener added. The paint is most often put on with a roller, but can also be sprayed. And such paints are available at Lowes/Home Depot and Tractor Supply.

This is a do it yourself job for most owners.

Last edited:

zool

Captain

Metal flake is/was used in the gel coat mold, usually set against a dark or black resin, if you want to paint, you should look into a single stage metallic urethane...ppg concept comes in metalics and holds up well as well as some others.....avoid the base coat/clear coat metallics on a boat if you can, but that's a debatable concept.

Basically, you could use an epoxy primer, like ppg dplf or equivalent, then have them shoot a few coats of the metallic...and run with it.

Or skip the metallic altogether, and have them lay a solid color..maybe a two tone modern combo.....all imo

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I for one have metal flake on my project boat. My buddy used to run an old car resto business and has spend endless hours painting. He was the master behind the spray gun on this project. As with any paint job proper prep is of utmost importance. As for durability........your vehicle sits outside in the elements year round unless of course it is garage kept. Your vehicle will take way more abuse that a boat that gets used mainly on weekends. I keep my boats covered when not in use so I anticipate it will last many years. Feel free to scan through my resto thread in the signature. Certainly this paint job was not cheap and not a route most will take due to cost of paints alone. But when completed it sure does look nice.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure you are wanting a true metal flake and not the norm poly flake that nearly every vehicle comes in these days? True metal flake is a beast to get correctly applied. But poly paints are really quite simple to spray. Just asking...

cscott711

Cadet

Hey guys,

Sorry for not responding. I had set up "instant notification by email" for any responses and didn't get any emails, ha. Anyways, I got the boat and I plan on keeping it. The quote I received was for $850 plus paint which he estimated at around $150. I'm going to get a couple other quotes as well.

To be honest, I don't know exactly what I'm looking for -- if it's metal or poly flake or if it's something that is mixed in the paint or added afterwards. I'm leaning heavily on those that have done it before along with the professional painters in my location.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm thinking Poly Flake is what you'd be looking for. Paint quote seems quite low to me. I'm thinkin about double that.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The actual paint cost will be determined on what type paint and the actual color too. Any paint that has any red pigment in it will cost the most. And the price will also be depended on single stage or base coat clear coat. So once you have figured out what you really want. post again with the estimates and type paint as well...