How to measure inside hull contour to make templates and support beams

opc167

Cadet
I'm rebuilding the inside stringers and need to find a way to measure the hulls contour. I know there is a tool out there that uses a foot long measure with pins the is for trim. I need to measure the 7' width hulls contour to make templates and stringer support. Any ideas, I would greatly apprecaite it.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: How to measure inside hull contour to make templates and support beams

I'm rebuilding the inside stringers and need to find a way to measure the hulls contour. I know there is a tool out there that uses a foot long measure with pins the is for trim. I need to measure the 7' width hulls contour to make templates and stringer support. Any ideas, I would greatly apprecaite it.

Get some card board, box cutter and some tape. Cut, tape until the card board cut out fits the way you want.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I normally just use a compass and scribe a line on the template, or directly onto a piece of wood.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, like he said ^^^ here's a drawing...
Level the cardboard with the hull then use the compass to scribe a line onto the cardboard. Cut out the line and transfer to the plywood for cut out. Eazy Smeazy!!!

Last edited:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Yup, like he said ^^^ here's a drawing...
Level the cardboard with the hull then use the compass to scribe a line onto the cardboard. Cut out the line and transfer to the plywood for cut out. Eazy Smeazy!!!

I do the same, except, taking a cue from the granite counter top guys, I use strips of door skin. Use hot melt glue to piece together if necessary. A little more durable than cardboard, particularly if multiple pieces glued together. About $7 for 4x8 at HD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, That^^^ too!!!!:)

SAT_Bob

Seaman

That would work on the transom also. Very cool and a lot easier than what I was doing. Trace, cut, fit, repeat. Small sections at a time. :)