input needed on fixing up 2007 Glastron, rub rail, etc.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys,

We've got a 2007 GT185 with low hours and a near mint interior. However, the exterior has taken a bit of a beating.

1. The rub rail has a chunk out of it on the starboard side. Unfortunately, it's part of the black strip and the white above it. Is this anything a somewhat mechanical person can replace on his own? I got an estimate of nearly $800 to do just this.

2. Numerous scratches in the blue gel-coat. Not a big deal to me. There on the starboard side, we dock on port.

3. A pretty good chip somebody did last season. That should be repaired in my opinion. What should that cost?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: input needed on fixing up 2007 Glastron, rub rail, etc.

1. The rub rail has a chunk out of it on the starboard side. Unfortunately, it's part of the black strip and the white above it. Is this anything a somewhat mechanical person can replace on his own? I got an estimate of nearly $800 to do just this. IMHO I wouldn't worry to much about this. I'd sand it out as best I could and move on. 180, 220, 320 grit wet

2. Numerous scratches in the blue gel-coat. Not a big deal to me. There on the starboard side, we dock on port. You could get a Gelcoat repair kit and try your hand at Gelcoat color matching (This is almost an "Art Form" and NOT the easiest thing you'll ever attempt) If you get it close you can then by a $10 Preval Sprayer from Lowe's and then spray on 3-4 coats after you've sanded and wiped the area clean with acetone. Or you could just use an artists brush and paint in the scratches. Your choice.

3. A pretty good chip somebody did last season. That should be repaired in my opinion. What should that cost? I'd mix up some Poly resin and cabosil and cut up some chopped strand to make it "Hairy" to the consistency of peanut butter and fill that chip. Once it hardened I'd sand it to shape and again use the gelcoat kit to match the white and coat the repair and then sand and buff it out. You could do all of this in a couple of hours and cost would be less than $75 bucks for the resin and Kit. Maybe $100 but no more.

See answers in red above.