Soft Top Deck (starboard side / bow) - 92 Sea Ray 230 DA

BadgerSR230

Recruit
Hi guys, I have a 92 Sea Ray 230 DA that has a soft top deck on the starboard side. You can see a short video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnZRwdpGVQ

I've been reading several soft deck threads, and am looking to find information about the best way to tackle the project (or even if I should)...

Does anyone know how to pull back the headliner on this boat? It almost looks like one piece stitched together for the entire cabin. I read one thread that said it would be easier to cut out the deck from the top, but probably wouldn't look great when trying to get it back on.

This thread asks a lot of the same questions I have: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...-hood-front-center-hatch-windlass-609902.html

What kind of wood to install after digging the rotted out?
How to attach the wood to the underside of fiberglass?
What epoxy or resin to use?
What sealer to use on the hatch and hood railing when reinstalling?

My wife and I would like to be able to use the bow as a spot to lay out, etc. Not sure how safe I feel about it in its current condition.

Any help you can provide would be great!

BadgerSR230

Recruit
Re: Soft Top Deck (starboard side / bow) - 92 Sea Ray 230 DA

I was just told by the previous owner of the boat that the top half has no wood coring and the flex in the fiberglass is due to the hand-laying process.

He said he talked to Sea Ray about it when he bought the boat and they confirmed that there is nothing to rot in the top half of the bow and there is no problem with the flexing.

Anyone have experience with this boat or can also confirm that the flex in the deck is perfectly safe? If you cannot tell, I am a newbie...

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a cuddy cabin also and their is no flex like that in mine. I don't think their is any wood their. I believe its all glass.
Hopefully some of the pro will be able to tell u more but I wouldnt mess with it. Looks pretty solid to me as long as your not jumping on it or something like that.
Good luck buddy and welcome to iboats.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Nope, full of Balsa. The leak, more than likely, started from the hatch cut out, very common. I had to do the repair on (one of my) 88 Sea Ray 300. Exact same spot. Even on the uphill side. Rot is like cancer and it spreads.
There are a couple of ways to attack. The easiest, but messiest way, is to destroy the hull-liner and more than likely, you will destroy if you try to remove, then go get one of those oscillating tools and cut the underside skin only.
Try to remove this piece in tack so you can reuse later.
The rotted parts will simply crumble and fall out. measure the thickness, probably 3/8" and go to Great lakes skippers website and order some end-grain balsa. Balsa or plywood will work. Balsa requires some maneuvering to pre-soak with epoxy and is a huge mess!
Good prep is key. remove all rot down to good material! Smooth, sanded, both pieces. Use Epoxy resin (I like West Systems) Put it back together.

The second method which may or may not work in your case, just depends on how far your cancer has spread, is to remove the hatch. (Have to in either case), then with the same oscillating tool, start removing decayed material in between the two skins. The rot will be easy to remove. You will know when you hit solid material. You may be able to use a long, paddle bit to remove debris as well. (I did)
Work it, vacuum it, work it, vacuum it. Once you think your there, let in bake in the sun for a while or forced air to dry any remaining wetness. Then, start with a nice, thickened epoxy resin, mix in some fiberglass chopped up strands and force all the down in the voids.
This will give you a good beginning border to begin inserting your balsa or even pieces of thin plywood here. The key is to work with slow curing epoxy, take your time, coat everything, very well, build up as you go. When you've reached the hatch, cut-out and everything is dry, (Should be rock-solid now), trim, sand, and reapply a final coat of epoxy to the hatch cut out. Done!

Last edited:

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good info speakerdude!!!