I need to fill in the ladder recess on my transom swim platform!

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I purchased an aftermarket swim platform 2 years ago and now I want to fill in the void left by the old ladder. Can I just dump some fiberglass resin in the void and let it harden? If so, do I need to add the cloth? I have worked with the resin and cloth to repair some old showers before so I am familiar with it but I have never had to tackle such a large space. If anyone has any experience with this type of application I would greatly appreciate you input! I am attaching some pics of the task at hand. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 3

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: I need to fill in the ladder recess on my transom swim platform!

Just filling is probably not a good choice..... You could fill with foam and then glass over... You will absolutely need to use glass and not only resin.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

You are also going to need to gelcoat over it and blend it in with the existing gelcoat, unless you are OK with the look of exposed fiberglass...

Honestly I'd say that might be a job for a professional if you want it looking factory.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

While your pictures don't point to the area of concern I recommend Marine Tex. It is a two part product that is as strong as steel when hardened. This would be best if it is the holes that you want to fill. Marine Tex will also cure under water.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I think he wants that entire recessed area (where the ladder formerly was) to be filled in and level with the rest of the swim platform. That would take a lot of MarineTex...

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My boat came with an extended platform from the factory, and the original ladder void has a cover (see below).

swimplatform4.jpg

I imagine most ladders are pretty similarly sized between manufacturers, so I would probably call a few of them and see if anyone has one of these laying around or for sale. It would atleast get you close without glassing anything.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I think it would cost alot to have it professionally done. And maby a bit pricy to do it yourself. If it were mine I'd try to find a ladder to fit,they do come in pretty handy!

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies fellas and JASin is right. I actually have the ladder that was there but it is pointless because I added a much larger swim platform that includes a ladder. I think I am just going to try and cut a pice of 1 inch thick PVC to fit the recess (which has all sorts of angles) and then caulk around the edges make it look a little nicer and keep debis out. I agree that it would cost a fortune to have it done professionally. While I am a bit of a perfectionist, the purpose of the fix is to keep the kiddos, who spend all day swimming off the back, from stepping in the hole and gettin hurt. So, if it doesn't look perfect, I can just remind myself that it is function over form!

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, and, skydive, I am going to call the company I bought the platform from (swimplatforms.com) and see if they can recommend anything. Thanks again!

thumpar

Admiral

If you have experience with fiberglass it shouldn't be too hard to fill it in. You could use wood to fill up the bulk of it and fiberglass it in. Then have a pro do the gel coat. It would save a ton over having a pro do the whole job. Probably worth an estimate at least.

southkogs

Staff member

As an alternative, make a cushion that fits in there and lock it down (use the screw holes for the ladder). Might make a comfy spot to sit on the back of the boat, kinda' look like it's supposed to be there, be somewhat cheap and very easily "un-done."

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought about that as well thumpar. And I never thought of that south. Hmmmmmmm. Decisions, decisions. Thanks guys!

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Glass over fill structure, either PVC or ply or both, gel coat, hydroturf for upper and lower swim platforms. Good luck.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Hmmm.... What about mixing resin and ground styrofoam to fill void.... Then cover original platform along with the filled recess with sea deck or similar

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The Idea of a custom foam seat cushion seems quite a practical solution to me. Easy to fabricate and inexpensive to produce. I think it would look great!!! I can visualize it in place. If I was closer I'd build it for you!!!:joyous:

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is what I came up with. I only need to add the finishing touches and she will be complete. I used a piece of expanded PVC (free) some marine sealant/adhesive ($14) and some no skid marine tape ($10). Once I caulk the top of the end cap I added it will look a lot cleaner. Here are a few pics and thanks for all of the input! Oh, and I see a couple of you guys just had to weather (no pun intended) a few nasty storms. I hope everyone is OK. We are getting all of that rain and wind now. Thanks, again!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg