Painting fence on pontoon.

Me and a couple buddies bought a pontoon off of a family that never used it. We would like to change the color of the fence and we have a few questions on how to tackle the project.
We have taken the old decals off with a heat gun and it is down to the original grey color. It's plain to see where the decals were due to the long years of baking in the sun.
The boat is a 93' party barge. It has dings and scratches in the fencing which is to be expected from a boat that is that old. Our question is where to go from here? Do we need to sand? If so what grit of paper? What do we need for primer? We have one gallon of implement paint that we are hoping we can use to save some money. Any info is greatly appreciated as we are complete rookies I'm the restoration business!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Painting fence on pontoon.

Me and a couple buddies bought a pontoon off of a family that never used it. We would like to change the color of the fence and we have a few questions on how to tackle the project.
We have taken the old decals off with a heat gun and it is down to the original grey color. It's plain to see where the decals were due to the long years of baking in the sun.
The boat is a 93' party barge. It has dings and scratches in the fencing which is to be expected from a boat that is that old. Our question is where to go from here? Do we need to sand? If so what grit of paper? What do we need for primer? We have one gallon of implement paint that we are hoping we can use to save some money. Any info is greatly appreciated as we are complete rookies I'm the restoration business!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Just knock the shine down with 320gr. or a green scrubby pad, Wash it Clean, 'n shoot yer paint on, with hardener added to it,...

Prime it if ya want, for an even background/ base,...

Any bare aluminum oughta be hit with etchin' primer, then primer or top coat,...