Stringer and transom material?

frankk

Seaman
Ok, after many hours of scraping, what material are we suggesting to use for the wood? Seems I hear marine grade plywood, I understand that for the floor but... for the stringers? Mine are 8' x 4" for the stringers and 46-1/2" x 4 (sloping to and 1.5" ) for the transom. Do I buy marine grade and warp with 1708? PB under the transom and the stringers as well? Anxious in Antioch, IL

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: Stringer and transom material?

You should be able to find Arauco brand plywood at one of the big box stores (Lowe's, Menard, Home Depot). It's much cheaper than marine plywood, yet it's still far superior to regular exterior plywood. It has more plies than standard plywood, and there are fewer voids in the wood, too. It uses the same exterior grade glue you'd want in any exterior plywood. Good stuff, and just a bit more more expensive than a lesser grade exterior wood. Good stuff.

I used PB with my transom (didn't have to do the stringers) and it works well. Some have used PL Premium, a construction adhesive, but it has some drawbacks (requires at least 72 hrs. for curing, resin won't stick to it, so you can't have any ooze out onto areas that will be glassed).

Have you read Woodonglass' instructions on glassing transoms, stringers, etc.? They are really helpful...

Good luck,
Jim

frankk

Seaman

Hmm, maybe I am old school, seems like I want to use plywood with resin / hardener but liquid nails wasn't around 40 years ago when my boat was built. Interesting note.. it was made in Canada in 74/75 and still had the foam in the floor.. I believe that starting in 76 it was required in the US but again, some folk lore here..
So... Arauco plywood for both the stringers and the transom then as I am hearing you?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

If it were my boat, I'd use resin, too. (I did use it, actually, in my boat!). Yes, Arauco is for both. Really good quality plywood.

frankk

Seaman

Looking at Menards and Home Depot, all I am finding is Georgia Pacific, any thoughts?

frankk

Seaman

Disregard, Google found it. (The lumber department could not find it..) For the others, it is Model # 690053
at Home Depot