New to forum, working on getting an aluminum resto project for first boat

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New to forum, working on getting an aluminum resto project for first boat

ok completely confused, need impeller repair kit for my Mercury.

Iboats has these
HP
Beginning Serial #
Ending Serial #
Sierra Complete Kit
Mallory Water Pump Kit, complete
80 (4 cyl) 4831999 6432900 18-3314 9-48309

my engine #5378620

I also want too find the lower unit o rings, where do I look for those?

I have pictures to upload also soon.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhhmm I'm confused...Are you saying you can't find em here on iBoats? That is not a valid Mercury Outboard Serial#.

Last edited:

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Uhhmm I'm confused...Are you saying you can't find em here on iBoats? That is not a valid Mercury Outboard Serial#.

I hope you are wrong about that. Iboat sales person Kassy found it and used it to reference a water pump kit for me. She was great. We took a bunch of time finding things for me, she was the best customer service person I've encountered in a very long time. I now have everything on the way to do the water pump and refill the lower unit.

What makes you think the serial number is incorrect? I just double checked the list that JB linked and that number fits the range for 1979 Mercury 80hp motors.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I went to an iBoats competitor (it won't let me post the site name) and entered that SerialNumber into the database and NADA!!!! I'll try it again.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OK, I found it!!! It's in a SERIES of numbers. Check your PM in a few Minutes.

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here you go...it isn't a vintage resto, more of a old boat check out..

Highsider989's Recent Uploads | Photobucket

So I started work today, I've got some fixin to do. The boat runs but I want to go through it before I put it in the water. So I've pulled some of the interior so I can work more efficiently. This weekend the impeller and lower oil change happen. I need to wire up the fuel gauge. I'm going through all the wiring, it looks less than tidy, I'll check the motor connections as well as I found a loose nut on the choke solenoid that I think is bad. If it is that is a 75 buck part. Prolly need a new fuel bulb, heck the more I learn here the more work I need to do.

Can you get a replacement Mercuriser ignition switch with a safety lanyard key? This would save me a bunch of trouble, suggestions?

I found a brand new ski rope in the boat, a ten buck bonus. I found one wet spot, not really soft but could get there. I'll check the foam this weekend also. Everywhere I've checked it seems dry. A few cracks in the rear of the lounge buckets. The carpet is worn but not torn. Some of the carpet glue is marginal, good for the end of the year when I pull it all apart if I decide on a total deconstruction. I dont need the live wells in the bow. I'd like to pull the bow interior apart and rebuild it for more storage. I think there's a ton of foam in this boat. So you have pictures of the good side and the bad side. I'll be painting this boat at some time, i think I need to pull the pink graphics off the boat, If both sides were clean it wouldn't bother me but one side is trashed, someone forgot bumpers. My GF nearly burned her had on the boat as the navy blue gets really hot, or is that just what tin boats do? I cleaned some of the water line to see how bad it was, I'm going to try mag cleaner. The clean spot is metal polish with a scotchbrite pad. What's the best way to clean the carpet? I was thinking dish soap, car was soap and a long bristle brush and a good rinse? I need to redo the stern access panel, I cant stand the bolts the PO used and i want to see whats in there. I tried to get to the inner transom area but id have to pull a bunch of rivets to get there. That will happen when I redo it fully. The trailer is getting rewired, 17 bucks, and a new web strap for the winch. It needs a bolt in a bunk and a new bow pad, not bad. I did buy new wheels and tires before pulling it home, the GF didn't like the dry rotted tires.

Impeller, wiring, cleaning..my future...

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/Highsider989/library/Mobile Uploads/spectrum hull

This is as close to the inner transom as i can get. I was poking around and it is not soft..I did pill some nails out of the stern access pannel. It is chock full of foam. around the edges of the foam was some rusty nails. I removed all that I could find about 9-10. That foam is about a foot and a half deep there.

Last edited:

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I posted in the merc engine forum about the harness going to my motor can someone identify this? I've been looking for a new controller that has a lanyard, electric choke, manual choke and trim. If I can tell what wire harness may be compatable with my merc it would help. here are pictures of the plug into the motor. I know there are 8 and 14 pin connectors, this is something different? Its on a 1979 merc 80hp 4cyl.

Spectrum Mercury Outboard Slideshow by Highsider989 | Photobucket

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

That what I thought, The motor repair will be big buck it seems. The hull is my pure labor, I've got lots of that.

LOL, I like the way you think. I'll be cussing some time though the build if the trailer makes it home.

Ok the bunks on the trailer, that's easy, use pressure treated lumber correct?:lol:

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you''ll cuss. Have a beer and join us. It's all good.

Don

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Impeller replacement this week all the parts from iboats came in including the manual.

I also have my Virginia Boater Safety class complete. Not a bad course online and it didnt take long. I learned somethings also, so worth the 29.50.

So I think I will sample the foam in the boat tonight, I'm curious..

Last edited:

highsider989

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Impeller done, the one that was in there was good but the base plate had some strange wear in it. That was a bit of a fiddly job, One of the gaskets didn't look correct so I used the best match from the replacement kit. Lower reinstal Friday and testing. Still need to do some cleaning. VA cashed my check to title the boat so numbers soon I hope. This boat may be in the water memorial day.

Some wiring still to be done, The trim works but trimming up sometimes takes a try or two, the solenoid clicks but no action from the pump. Suggestions? I'm going to loosen and tighten the connections, lube with dielectric grease. The fuel gauge doesn't work, I'll need to look into that. Need to check the choke solenoid connections not sure it works, the fast idle on the controller starts it though.

Vacuum and reinstall the interior then splash..