best topside paint? gelcoat awlgrip imron

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice
I have read all of the posts I can find on paints but still not sure what to do. Gelcoat, awlgrip, imron or?

I am used to shooting gelcoat but the amount of sanding im looking at for a 28ft might be a but much. Being im shooting outside I can at least fix any issues with gelcoat. I used awlgrip on the sides but repairing any runs or bugs is not an option.

I called awlgrip and they said not to use awlcraft 2000 for topsides being it is much softer than awlgrip.

I have been told that with imron you can polish out any dust or imperfections. Does that sound right? I have never used imron

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best route here?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: best topside paint? gelcoat awlgrip imron

I had Awlgrip put on my 1976 23' Formula. Once you buff it out initially you only need soap and water to clean it for the next 6 years. You can easily buff out abrasions and stains. The only draw back is if you leave the boat in the water for more than 2 weeks at a time without having bottom paint on it you run the risk of blisters. Also you have to use Awlgrip products to polish it after you buff out a stain or abraision. Never use conventional wax on it. I've had the Awlgrip on it for 3 years now and it's as shiny as it was the day I picked it up. I figure if it's good enough for Feadship its good enough for me. :D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

There are any number of good paints available out there and again it'a all in the prep work and what colors you're looking for..

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice

Basic white...I painted the sides with Awlgrip Vessel White. Being this is above the side rail and only the flat areas (no decks) I just need to be close. Decks will be a different color so I'm not worried about that match.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

My experience with Imron is that it does polish up real well if your original build thickness is at or above the recommended mil thickness...stay away from edges with the machine and do those areas by hand...;)
It is also pretty tough, maybe never be as tough as gel, but definitely tougher than most any other paint...they do use a similar formulation on a lot of airplanes...I have found it to be extremely resistant to abrasion after full cure and most chemicals or solvents don't have any effect on it as long as we are not talking about long term contact...
My 2?...:)