glassing my transom 'help'

newtonb

Recruit
Hey guys,
I recently decided to undertake doing my transom. My boat is a 13.5' sunray year is unknown to me. IF someone can give me some idea of this would be appreciated. I first separated the hull by taking the top off. I had to cut slashwell as it was fiberglassed to the transom. Hope That's ok, let me know if it is. I took the inside skin off and found my rotted transom. It was a rough sawn piece of lumber which makes me think it isnt original.It was 21/2" thick. I have it all cleaned out with the outside skin still intact. I have laminated two pieces of 3/4" marine plywood with epoxy. Now I need to place in transom area my questions are as follows. Do I epoxy the new wooden core to the outside skin with just the same thickened epoxy mix that I laminated the ply together with? Or do I use something different? Next I need step by step instruction on filleting and how to glass it in for strength? Please help. I have 6oz mat that a marine shop said will work. Hopefully someone can help.
Thanks

IMG_0464.jpgIMG_0465.jpgIMG_0468.jpgIMG_0466.jpgIMG_0469.jpg

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Re: glassing my transom 'help'

Welcome to the fun,... looks like you're doing very well so far, and to answer your question yes you can use the same epoxy-resin mixture that you used to laminate the two pcs of ply together. But first you will want to grind off the old wood from the interior of the skin, then clamp in place using 2x4's and threaded rod,.. do a search on here for Transom Repair and you will see a variety of methods. You will then want to do a complete glass job on the interior surface of the new transom Good Luck!

Last edited: