1964 Starcraft

mike67cmaro

Cadet
Hi all. I'm new here. Last fall I bought a 64 starcraft 14' runabout and now that spring is here I've decided to start working on it. There are a few problem areas for a boat of this age but 1 has had me concerned. I decided to grind off some plastic repair spot today to see if I was worried over nothing. What I found was a hole in the chine area. It appears to be paper thin and dry wood. No fiberglass but gelcoat(if it was used then) to wood. Is this a big issue. How should I repair this? I don't have access to the inside without cutting. How can I post a picture?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1964 Starcraft

Welcome Mike. Open a free Photobucket account, store your pics and paste the IMG code in your posts here. You might have to set up PB for the right size.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hi all. I'm new here. Last fall I bought a 64 starcraft 14' runabout and now that spring is here I've decided to start working on it. There are a few problem areas for a boat of this age but 1 has had me concerned. I decided to grind off some plastic repair spot today to see if I was worried over nothing. What I found was a hole in the chine area. It appears to be paper thin and dry wood. No fiberglass but gelcoat(if it was used then) to wood. Is this a big issue. How should I repair this? I don't have access to the inside without cutting. How can I post a picture?

What? You have a wooden 1964 Starcraft 14ft'r?

Yeah, we're gonna have to see some pix of this boat and both the repaired area & the hole you've ground in it.

If the repair is in the chine, perhaps the wood you're seeing is part of the repair, not originally part of the boat or chine.

The below deck structure should look like this:
4251823341_8abd5a2afd_b.jpg

So you may have exposed the 1X1 wood that's the backer for the chine.

Pix would help

Last edited:

mike67cmaro

Cadet

I ground out the entire area and this is what I found

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/...5-0157-4B97-942B-67F6511CFEAB_zpsbp0azbcs.jpg

What's the correct repair procedure?

There is a little bit of wood left but its wet...due to me wetting the boat down after grinding on it. I have a few more areas that need some sort of attention but I will save that for later. Might as well do the worst first.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think that's the edge of a sheet of plywood:
DADD3375-0157-4B97-942B-67F6511CFEAB_zpsbp0azbcs.jpg%7Eoriginal

And if it's wet, theres a good chance it all needs to come out. It's the deck (floor) of the boat, you can see it in the cross section I posted above.

If yours is built like several vintage Starcrafts, the deck may be the only wood below deck. That'll save you quite a bit of time & money if it's in good shape and doesn't need to be completely redone.

mike67cmaro

Cadet

No its only wet due to me spraying it/ cleaning with the hose. It was bone dry yesterday when I removed the original repair. The floor is solid as a rock, no damp, spongy areas at all. Ive seen some google images of people inserting laminate for countertops directly behind an area like mine and glueing or using resin to keep them in place. Would this be an acceptable repair? How should I handle it?