Sealing wood with "Poly", Polyurethane (varnish), or varnish (spar) ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ned L

Commander
I read quite regularly here where people recommend to 'seal' new wood with 'poly' (polyurethane varnish) or 'spar' (tradional oil based varnish). ........... Can someone explain the reasoning behind this.
If you are looking to seal wood with the easiest, least expensive, and longest lasting 'stuff', use an oil based paint. Paint is a superior to varnish for protecting wood, it lasts longer and protects better.
... Why are people here recommending varnish?

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sealing wood with "Poly", Polyurethane (varnish), or varnish (spar) ????

Because many people like the look of wood...............

Ned L

Commander

Ahh, agreed, and I probably like nice brightwork more than most here (and have certainly done more than my share of varnishing)…… I should have clarified, the recommendation is made in conjunction with things like sealing the underside of new plywood for a cockpit sole and other locations that are unseen. -- Sorry for not saying this upfront.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure but...I think you may be confusing Polyurethane with Polyester resin. If I'm misinterpreting your intent, I duly apologize. I frequently recommend sealing the bottom side of the Sole/deck with a layer of Polyester Resin and CSM to Seal/waterproof it. I have also recommend frequently the Old time wood sealing method of 1 Part Boiled Linseed Oil, 2 parts Mineral Spirits and 1 Part Spar Varnish or Polyurethane for sealing wood which has been used for decades. BLO has a lot of "Solids" in it and by using the other additives it makes for a highly effective and long lasting wood sealer and water repellant when applied correctly however as you so aptly stated, the wood should then be painted to finish the sealing process and fully protect the wood from the elements. As you know most wood boat builders think fiberglass is a dirty word!!!;)

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander

Ah, Thank you WOG, no apology needed, I think you have it. That may in part explain some of the comments (at least yours re: “Poly”). That does make sense, though I would point out that resin alone (polyester) does not have much strength and may not be able to control the normal checking that happens in the surface of plywood, and light layer of glass should also be included to make sure the checking does not occur.

If we want to drift a bit here , I have read your recipe before for a wood sealer made up of “1 Part Boiled Linseed Oil, 2 parts Mineral Spirits and 1 Part Spar Varnish or Polyurethane”. I am not against it, and I do like a linseed oil finish in a traditional work boat. (The varnish will keep it from having the typical ‘sticky’ surface of the linseed oil.) Just as some thoughts, I like the idea of the recipe if made with ‘spar’ varnish (containing tongue oil), not sure what I think about it with a synthetic polyurethane varnish (but that’s fine). I would like to point out that boiled linseed oil is a vegetable oil and will NOT prevent or inhibit rot. In fact it will almost foster the fungus that causes rot. However, as you point out, it is an effective (traditional) sealer and water repellent, which by the nature of keeping water out will keep rot fungus from growing, and this is where its value comes in. – Can’t say that I ever came across it as being used by wood boat builders (other than builders of ‘reproduction’ traditional boats). The boat builders I knew used Cuprinol. ......Maybe it was a regional thing.

I like your last sentence LOL..... Nah, I do believe it has its place and I have done my share of glass work, I just don’t believe that it is a cure all for everything. Thanks!! :)

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

"I frequently recommend sealing the bottom side of the Sole/deck with a layer of Polyester Resin and CSM to Seal/waterproof it."

If you notice I did state the need for CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) to make the Polyester Resin a viable choice.
;)
Linseed Oil does have the characteristics you mentioned. Boiled Linseed Oil...not so much. It IS highly combustible so care must be taken with rags etc... but the mixture I mention is a highly effective sealer and, as stated, when applied correctly and followed up with paint, or a high quality Marine Varnish will seal wood very well. Never had mildew,mold or fungus issue when using it...ever, and I AM and OLD DUMB OKIE!!!!!:D:lol:

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander

Oops, .... Sorry I missed the CSM part of your comment. You did cover it. Thank you!
--- I have seen rot in wood that has been maintained with linseed oil only, can't speak to your recipe though. a linseed oil finish will typically turn very dark in conlor (almost black) when exposed to sunlight and weather, so mildew wouldn't be very visible.
Yep, have to be careful with rags soaked in it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You are very correct about Linseed Oil, thus the Boiled Linseed Oil formula was developed. Better but NOT perfect. Using the MS to thin it gives it better penetration into the wood, when it dries the solids in the oil swell to seal the pores in the wood and then the "Plastic" properties of the Varnish or the Polyurethane seal the top of the wood. It really is quite effective. However, depending on humidity etc, it can take up to 48 hrs to thoroughly dry before the final coating can occur.

Ned L

Commander

Thanks WOG! I'll probably give that a try.

Tideaholic

Cadet
The instructions on the polyurethane says a thin coat then sand before a second coat. Any specific instructions on doing this the best way? I'm not worried about it being smooth but am concerned about other reasons for sanding. The more I read, the more I think it is not necessary. Put it on then sand it off? Doesn't sound too bright.
Thanks

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Tideaholic , this topic is over the 90 day limit and is closed. If you want answers, start your own topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.