transom help

i have a 1988 svs 200 stingray and the previous owner ... hit a stump... and about 5 inches from the bottom of the transom and about 20 inches side to side there is a crack in the out side skin just wondering where i should start ? should i pull the engine and drive out to see if any thing is rotten. or just pach it up and go.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: transom help

You could do a drill test on it to see if it has started rotting.look in my rest thread, oops explains it great.

jbcurt00

Staff member

i have a 1988 svs 200 stingray and the previous owner ... hit a stump... and about 5 inches from the bottom of the transom and about 20 inches side to side there is a crack in the out side skin just wondering where i should start ? should i pull the engine and drive out to see if any thing is rotten. or just pach it up and go.

You are probably not going to like what you find when you pull the outdrive & transom shield. But I'd start there, not w/ engine removal. It will likely need to come out, but exposing the keyhole will probably be enough to see the condition of the transom plywood.

I'm not familiar w/ an '88 SVS 200 Stingray, so pix of your boat, it's transom & the crack you describe would be helpful. I don't know, but does your boat have only a center section made of plywood, or does it span the whole width of the tranosm?

Bondo

Staff member

i pulled the out drive out but how do you get the transom shield off? it is a alpha one

Ayuh,.... Pull the Motor,....

Then the 6 or 8 nuts holdin' the inner transom plate,...
After that, push the outer transom assembly off,...

Looks like I'm pulling a motor this weekend I'll get back and tell you how it looks.I drill the hole in it and it looks rotten

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!
No worries Mate!!! You're in the absolute best place you could possibly be to get help on how to restore your boat!

Bondo

Staff member

i cant find marine plywood any where... can i order it online?

Ayuh,.... Ya don't need Marine plywood,...

Exterior grade is all ya need, it's gonna be covered with resin, 'n glass,....

Marine rots just like Exterior, 'n they both use the same glue,....

CDX will work, ACX is better,...
7 ply is better than 5 ply,...
But Any of 'em get the job done,...

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

i cant find marine plywood any where... can i order it online?

Real true Marine ply wood is the best of course, but it will be sealed and a lot of the guys use Arauco plywood from the Supermarket style lumberyards due to the fact it has more plys than regular Exterior Grade plywood and there aren't the voids either. Still others use MDO which is another option. I'm probably going with SAC plywood for my transom and floors. I can get it here in town and it is a 7 layer, Exterior Adhesive, Contractor Grade, sanded "A" one side, "C" opposite, plywood. Sealed, it will last a lifetime (or near so).

WOG has some real good info on plywood in his posts about transom repairs.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

If you search the big box stores for "Arauco" you should find it. It's very good plywood, and a fraction of the cost of marine plywood.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander

I got my Arauco at Menards if you have one near you