1995 sylvan transom repair

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1995 sylvan transom repair

I don't know either, that's why I asked if it was a typical patch riveted over a hole. Makes sense, the patch will lap over the damage and tie into good material surrounding it.

If BlueFin doesn't reply today, send him a PM. He used a multistep process, chemical & mechanical, to remove all traces of the electrolysis in the damage & pits of his current project. Often used dental picks if I remember correctly.

IMO, clean all the damage away from both the interior & exterior side of the transom skin & see what you've really got left. Then make a plan to fix, repair or replace it.

Moep43

Cadet

Thanks! is replacing the entire outer skin actually a option?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

I don't know either, that's why I asked if it was a typical patch riveted over a hole. Makes sense, the patch will lap over the damage and tie into good material surrounding it.

If BlueFin doesn't reply today, send him a PM. He used a multistep process, chemical & mechanical, to remove all traces of the electrolysis in the damage & pits of his current project. Often used dental picks if I remember correctly.

IMO, clean all the damage away from both the interior & exterior side of the transom skin & see what you've really got left. Then make a plan to fix, repair or replace it.

I believe jb is recalling this fiasco.

You have to remove the oxidation mechanically before treating with chemicals.

I use a cupped orange Nyalox brush to remove the surface corrosion.

A dremel and a tungsten carbide cutter is great for removing the alumina (white stuff) embedded in the pits.

Whatever you do, resist the temptation to cut a large portion of your transom skin away; clean-it-up so we can see what we're workin' with. :washing:

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep ^^^

And if it sounded like I was suggesting cutting away any damage, before getting the nasty scrubbed off, that was NOT my intended suggestion. A good scrubbing and wipe down, so you can see the actual aluminum, not the corrosion:
attachment.php

Right? That's ^^^ the inner face of the aluminum transom skin, correct?

Moep43

Cadet

Yes it is I will hit it with some elbow Grease this week and let you guy know.. Thanks for the resonces!

Moep43

Cadet

Well here's the progress report people!

I purchased acx, gorilla glue, spar urethane

I cut it glued and clamped it this a.m.

I also purchased some wire brushes for the drill, a hand stainless steel brush, and some 5200 for future use.

Tonight im going to buff out all the crud on the inner skin... I did alittle already this a.m. and it is already looking like swiss cheese. The good news is most of it is in the mid skin not at the seems..

I will post more pictures later

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 0
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image (5).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0

Moep43

Cadet

I ground out pretty much all the crud on the back skin there will be some substantial size patches however its all in the skin. Most if not all of the corners and the structural looks ok..

What should I use on the smaller holes JB or Gluvit? the PO used something that drys grey and it is rock solid. I would like to redo them because they didn't sand down all the paint first what do you guys think?

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 0

Moep43

Cadet

Also does anyone have any advice on what to clean the aluminum with to get rid of oxidation? Like specific brands or anything?