1995 sylvan transom repair

Moep43

Cadet
Hello all,
I'm fairly new to the forums, however I've been poking around reading up on my latest endeavor, a 1995 17 foot Sylvan pro select. It needs some real love, as PO had let it sit outside for sometime.... My first order of buissness is going to be replacing and repairing the transom both the core and the skin. I will post some pictures later today. I do however have some questions about how to get the top cap off.. Do I just drill out the small rivets on top? Also how many people have positive experience with those aluminum braising rods? There are a couple of holes/ tears in the skin that while I have the transom core out I would like to repair.

Thanks

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 sylvan transom repair

Hello and welcome to the Iboats.com dry dock...
I am assuming that this is an aluminum boat...?
Usually the top cap is removed by drilling out all of the rivets found under the rub rail...
I have only read that the aluminum brazing rods are NOT that successful...they have been used mostly as a filler and not a structural type repair...
Aluminum boat skins are usually best repaired by professional aluminum welders or by DIY'ers by applying a riveted patch that is sealed with either gluvit or a good quality marine sealant like 3M's 4200/5200...
Soon as you post up some pics, the real tin guys will be along to guide you through the process of restoring this boat.
Best of Luck and Have Fun!
GT1M:)

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

Easy job ;) Aluminum boats are just about all alike and hundreds have been done here.

RULES for aluminum boats -

No pressure treated wood should ever be used.
No trex decking boards.
Ask if you have problems ;)

and most of all.... Have fun.

Restoration projects are not a race but a steady pace.

90% of us with aluminum who have performed restorations have used gluvit on the boats seams and rivets for leak insurance. gluvit

You can seal up the edges and face of the new plywood you use (Exterior plywood or marine plywood) with polyester or epoxy fiberglass resins and supplies Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building

iboats is the most experience leveled aluminum restoration you will ever find!

Good luck, have fun, take lot's of pictures!

Moep43

Cadet

Thanks all for the response's.
Im not going to lie im a little intimidated, the transom is in pretty bad shape. Its a real shame the PO took such crap care of it.

I think I have attached a few photos of some of the repairs I need to make....those of you with some experience i would love to hear what you have to say good bad or indifferent!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 6

Moep43

Cadet

Here is a couple pictures of the top cap the rivets i intend on drilling or grinding out are what im pointing at. I also intend on stripping off damn near all the paint so i can see exactly what im up against I don't want to use anything to drastic that i might further harm the aluminum...any suggestions? the transom is pretty caked with paint...

Attachments

• image (5).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image (6).jpg
    image (6).jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks all for the response's.
Im not going to lie im a little intimidated, the transom is in pretty bad shape. Its a real shame the PO took such crap care of it.

I think I have attached a few photos of some of the repairs I need to make....those of you with some experience i would love to hear what you have to say good bad or indifferent!

Nice holes.
It usually not needed to remove the top cap just the corner caps and the splash well to get at the transom wood.

Moep43

Cadet

Nice holes.
It usually not needed to remove the top cap just the corner caps and the splash well to get at the transom wood.

Really? everything I have seen on here looked like ou pull the top cap and slide the transom wood out..do tell?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just a little difference in terminology.
Those might be nails under the paint of the transom cap. Try pulling one out.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Are the holes in the transom corrosion or impact damage? With all the paint and stuff it's hard to tell what's happened there. I do agree the cap(s) come off and the transom core typically is lifted up and out. Splash well most likely will come out too. But the damage to the transom skin is what I would be more curious about.(s)

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

It's very dangerous...

attachment.php

...to put your beer on the gunwale cap like that :eek: :lol:

That appears to be corrosion/electrolysis...symmetric to both sides of the transom skin.

Moep43

Cadet

Never thought about the symmetric thing... What do you guys think caused it?

I am ripping it apart today and will keep you all posted.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Never thought about the symmetric thing... What do you guys think caused it?

I am ripping it apart today and will keep you all posted.

My guess would be electrolysis. Was it kept in a slip?

Moep43

Cadet

Not sure about being kept in a slip....
I just got the motor off and started tearing down the transom. I will post some pictures I the a.m.
The inside skin is spent I may need to make it new.

Moep43

Cadet

Ok everyone...I have damn near disassembled the whole boat. The transom was way worse than I thought...Im almost certain the it was replaced with pressure treated..Heres some pics

This was actually yesterdays work I got a lot further today.

After getting the motor off we were struggling with getting the splash guard out. I learned today we were going about it the wrong way we needed to just rip everything out!

Attachments

• image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image (6).jpg
    image (6).jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image (7).jpg
    image (7).jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Moep43

Cadet

So this is what I did today...the inner skin of aluminum is spent if it is necessary it will need to be completely replaced. The transom looks like it was breaking down the aluminum as pictured the white dust like stuff on the outer skin is typically proof of pressure treaded wood used, Right? I scrapped most of it off however does anyone know what I should do to wash it off? is there a chemical that will help?

I took up half the deck as well being that I am this deep into it I may as well poke around and be sure I wont being doing any of this again soon. both port and starboard sides of the bottom are full to the brim with spray in. I had to cut some toward the back to get to some bolts so I figured I would take a sample chunk and check if it was waterlogged. It seems pretty dry all the way through however maybe a 1/2 at the bottom was pretty wet. mind you the sample was taken from the back by the bilge area and it is about 7 inches think.

My new plan is to lap patch all holes in transom it seems like it should be pretty sturdy and I don't really care how it looks as im not looking to make a impression im just looking to get out on the lake!

I grabbed some 60 grit and my palm sander and it doesn't seem to want to make much progress through the 6 layers of paint the PO put on it. Anyone have any wisdom on what to use? I am worried about using a grinder as I don't want to go through the aluminum..

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image (8).jpg
    image (8).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2
  • image (9).jpg
    image (9).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1

Moep43

Cadet

So who has some experience Lap patching
Im going to grab some aluminum maybe 1/8th in thick, Some 5200, aluminum rivets and maybe some Gluvit as a safety precaution...

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm not familiar w/ the term lap patch. Overlay a patch on each area of damage? Or overlay a whole new transom skin?

Pick BF's brain, he's done A LOT of patches to his rig this past year.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Stripping paint is a PITA, no matter what technique or chemicals used...
Media blasting is the best but not usually available nearby most folks...BTW, it needs to be done with walnut shells, or something similar so as not to harm the aluminum...
Next best approach is to flip the hull, turtle it...then use paint stripper...do it in the shade and immediately after application, cover it with a sheet of plastic wrap to help retain the VOC's from evaporating...depending on several factors, it may work as quickly as a few minutes or take as long as overnight, to soften the old paint...in most cases, it will take more than one or two applications...
Elbow grease, sweat, various hand tools, frustration and time will usually get the job done...:facepalm:

Moep43

Cadet

jb, I may be using the wrong term but I though lap patching was if I use another piece of aluminum sealant and rivets and install that over the holes.

I guess right now my main questions are what I just to treat the inside of the transom skin to get all the chemical break down off?

Also I need to build a new inner skin, as seen from the pictures its pretty spent. I am wondering if aluminum is a must as it isn't a structural and seems to be just to keep the water off the transom wood. Tts fairly large and I will have difficulty finding a sheet of aluminum that big. Can I use some sort of plastic?