1972 Silverline Comoro 16T restoration

miadolfan13

Cadet
Hello! My name is Keith and I am a boating noob! Aside from a jon boat and a jet ski, I know nothing of boats. I bought a 1972 Silverline Comoro 16T with a 1975 Johnson 70 HP Sea Horse for $400 last month and I've been just thinking about it ever since. I don't know exactly where to start.

I probably shouldn't have purchased this particular boat, but the guy needed to sell it and I had a little extra cash to spare. I figured it would be something to work on in my free time, so I did it. My mistakes? The Johnson doesn't currently run. The PO said it ran when he bought it a few years ago, but he didn't know anything about boats either, so it sat. I've looked the engine over and it shows signs of a rebuild, or at least some replacement parts. I've heard these motors are pretty dependable, so I'm hoping to get it running soon. In fact, I plan to do nothing to the boat until the motor is running.

I'm posting here today to ask a few questions:

Does anyone have any info on this particular make/model of boat? I found very little on the net.

Any input on the Johnson? Basic information on getting it running would be helpful. Is it a typically good engine?

What types of problems should I expect going into this little restoration project?

Now, I have been trolling this site for a bit and I know you can't tell me a whole lot without some pictures. I will be putting some up after I am able to take them. I expect the typical things like a transom rebuild and stringer rebuilds. The floor has bare plywood screwed down to the original floor and it is rotted like a nobody's business. My first intent is to get it all pulled up to see what type of problems the floor might have.

Thanks for any input. I'm hoping to learn a lot from y'all while doing this job.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1972 Silverline Comoro 16T restoration

Welcome to iboats.

First invest in the proper engine manual (Boat Repair Manuals, Videos & Charts.) and post the engine questions in the Johnson/evinrude section here Johnson & Evinrude Outboards

I have seen many Comoro restorations and they are normally involving the stringers, transom and deck replacement. They were not built to last 40 years :( but you can rebuild it.

Read through the forum here and take a look at the supplies we have available Boat Paint, Repair & Maintenance - Boat Carpet, Fiberglass Repair, Antifouling

Here are the anticipated problems......... Restoration takes ALLOT of time, MONEY, dedicated space and more money. You have to be multi-focused because the structure of the boat, the trailer and motor all go together.

I will tell you that TIME is not on your side. This all takes time so if you can splash a completed project this Summer you will be far ahead of others.

Whoever screwed down plywood over the old deck actually did more harm :eek: and that would invite accelerated rot below deck!

Yep, do some investigating. Ask away on questions. Good luck

Last edited:

miadolfan13

Cadet

Thanks Bob! I did buy a repair manual off eBay for the Johnson. In fact, it was the first thing I did after towing the boat home. I started to tear up the flooring a little, it seems the original flooring is not in good shape. And yes, the wood that was screwed down seems to have caused some problems. The seats were screwed right through the plywood and into the original floor, but since it was stored outside, they pulled right up without any resistance. I'm guessing after I start cutting into the fiberglass floor, I will find some interesting damage.

Which brings up a question. The floor and sides seem to have some material that appears be textured like indoor/outdoor carpet, but it isn't carpet at all. It appears to be some type of covering, maybe glued down? I'm wondering if it might be some type of fiberglass covering. Have you any knowledge about this stuff? When I pulled it up in a few places, I see rough fiberglass so I'm thinking it might be some factory stuff.

Also, above what I believe to be the waterline, the fiberglass walls seems ridiculously thin. Is this normal? If I knock around the outside of the boat, below the waterline, it seems to be real solid. Above, not so much. I've learned this particular boat is a tri-hull. I'm not exactly sure what that means. It kinda sucks being a boating noob... :confused:

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Bob! I did buy a repair manual off eBay for the Johnson. In fact, it was the first thing I did after towing the boat home. I started to tear up the flooring a little, it seems the original flooring is not in good shape. And yes, the wood that was screwed down seems to have caused some problems. The seats were screwed right through the plywood and into the original floor, but since it was stored outside, they pulled right up without any resistance. I'm guessing after I start cutting into the fiberglass floor, I will find some interesting damage.

Which brings up a question. The floor and sides seem to have some material that appears be textured like indoor/outdoor carpet, but it isn't carpet at all. It appears to be some type of covering, maybe glued down? I'm wondering if it might be some type of fiberglass covering. Have you any knowledge about this stuff? When I pulled it up in a few places, I see rough fiberglass so I'm thinking it might be some factory stuff.

Also, above what I believe to be the waterline, the fiberglass walls seems ridiculously thin. Is this normal? If I knock around the outside of the boat, below the waterline, it seems to be real solid. Above, not so much. I've learned this particular boat is a tri-hull. I'm not exactly sure what that means. It kinda sucks being a boating noob... :confused:

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That sounds like Nautilax(sp), a textured glue-down vinyl material,...

The upper hull ain't but 'bout 1/8" or so thick, most All are like that,...

miadolfan13

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That sounds like Nautilax(sp), a textured glue-down vinyl material,...

The upper hull ain't but 'bout 1/8" or so thick, most All are like that,...

Thanks! Glad to be here. I've heard of that nautilux before. You think its original? Would it be something worth reinstalling?

miadolfan13

Cadet

Well, I was able to get the Johnson running! It has a gas leak, but runs. Now onto other facets of the boat project. I suppose drilling the transom to see what I've got there is next.

Any advice on the size drill I need? I suppose I only need a small sample of the transom. Should I do it in a few different areas?

Comoro81

Cadet

Im doing the exact same thing and video taping it on youtube if interested i have a 1973 comoro 15t so it should all be the same from the floor down i just got the top cap separated from the bottom and im also a noob to boating you just gotta dive in head first and get started here is my first video i have a few so far
My new boat restoration - YouTube

southkogs

Staff member

Hey guys: HERE's a good spot for Silverline information. Original literature is available down at the bottom. Plus there's a few of us who own 'em over HERE.

I think this is the Nautilux Bondo is talking about (that's what's in my boat and is still original).
Boat 8.jpg

I actually don't think my upper hull is that thin (comparative to many others). Silverline wasn't a premium boat or anything, but they had a nice build to 'em. Mine actually has quite a bit of noise dampening foam in places in the gunwales. I really like the Comoro. As a tri-hull (and technically a cathedral hull: center sponson is a little deeper than the outer two) it does pretty well on the water. It'll beat you up a little in rough water, but I can walk all over that boat and it rocks very little - very stable.

A V-Hull boat is what you typically see: a sharp front end with a single keel line down the front and all the way to the back. Your boat being a tri-hull has 3 of those "keel" lines (not really what they are) or sponsons. The hull design compacts water a little more under the hull and planes out a little higher and smoother. The trade off is that you're pretty much running at any waves you encounter with a brick wall at the front of your boat. The tri-hulls pretty much smash their way through waves and pound the dickens out of the occupants.

miadolfan13

Cadet

Im doing the exact same thing and video taping it on youtube if interested i have a 1973 comoro 15t so it should all be the same from the floor down i just got the top cap separated from the bottom and im also a noob to boating you just gotta dive in head first and get started here is my first video i have a few so far

I checked out the video, thanks! Lemme know when more are posted.

miadolfan13

Cadet

I checked out the video, thanks! Lemme know when more are posted.

miadolfan13

Cadet

Hey guys:

I think this is the Nautilux Bondo is talking about (that's what's in my boat and is still original).
View attachment 231819

I actually don't think my upper hull is that thin (comparative to many others). Silverline wasn't a premium boat or anything, but they had a nice build to 'em. Mine actually has quite a bit of noise dampening foam in places in the gunwales. I really like the Comoro. As a tri-hull (and technically a cathedral hull: center sponson is a little deeper than the outer two) it does pretty well on the water. It'll beat you up a little in rough water, but I can walk all over that boat and it rocks very little - very stable.

Hey thanks for the picture. I'm going to post a few here in a couple days. I got some good pics from someone on the Silverline yahoo group, so I'm planning to tear into the transom soon.

I hope to get some more help in the coming weeks! Thanks again!

Comoro81

Cadet

I have a new video up very messy work be prepared to get dirty if your doing this

miadolfan13

Cadet

I will check it out, and yes, I'm planning to get messy!