Best way to remove 1 year old flaking Toon-Bright clear coat (stuff sucks)

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put on 3 coats of Toon Bright clear coat on a brown metal flake ranger last year and it lasted about 3 months before oxidizing (faded badly), and now its starting to flake off (I can scratch it with my finger). So, I just want to get it off. What I had before looked a lot better.

Should I sand it, wet sand it, sand then wet sand. What do you guys think? That stuff was a total waist of time and $

Any thoughts would be great. I'm not sure where to start.

746-P1000__95944.1378757084.220.220.jpg746-P1000__95944.1378757084.220.220.jpg

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Best way to remove 1 year old flaking Toon-Bright clear coat (stuff sucks)

Call the manufacturer and ask about your problems.

Bondo

Staff member

I put on 3 coats of Toon Bright clear coat on a brown metal flake ranger last year and it lasted about 3 months before oxidizing (faded badly), and now its starting to flake off (I can scratch it with my finger). So, I just want to get it off. What I had before looked a lot better.

Should I sand it, wet sand it, sand then wet sand. What do you guys think? That stuff was a total waist of time and $

Any thoughts would be great. I'm not sure where to start.

View attachment 229549View attachment 229549

Ayuh,.... Even if ya used urethane Clear-coat for cars, metal flake hulls don't hold up, 'n peel,...

I wouldn't expect usin' a product for aluminum would go any better,...

The Only way I've seen metal flake gelcoat, Fixed, is by sandin' primin', resandin' til Smooth, then Paint it with Real paint, not clear coat,...

Anyways,... No matter what ya paint, with any paint, Sandin' is the 1st step in the process,...

MikDee

Banned

IMO, you need to get that stuff off, probably by sanding, or wet sanding. Then, try restoring with Vaseline! It will penetrate into the surface, clean it, and bring out the color, & shine. Leave it on till it looks dry, then remove the excess with paper towels, or clean rags. Heat, or being in the sun, will speed up this process. Continue with this process till you're satisfied with the finish. Then when completely dry, & clean, apply a wax or polish of your choice to preserve it. Just know you're feeding the surface with what it needs, not coating over it, nor being abrasive to it.

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Vaseline, humm Ill try that. That stuff works for everything. I'll also call the company that makes it.

MikDee

Banned

Vaseline, humm Ill try that. That stuff works for everything. I'll also call the company that makes it.

Here's an 89'Bayliner that has never been restored, notice how the color, & shine, just return, even though the surface was rough to the touch to start with.

If you can get that finish off your boat, and leave it as smooth as you can, the Vaseline should work good!

Attachments

• 19' Bayliner 002.jpg
    19' Bayliner 002.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Before 1.jpg
    Before 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 19' Bayliner 006.jpg
    19' Bayliner 006.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 0

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's an 89'Bayliner that has never been restored, notice how the color, & shine, just return, even though the surface was rough to the touch to start with.

If you can get that finish off your boat, and leave it as smooth as you can, the Vaseline should work good!

YA!, that looks great. How long does it stay shinny? The boat I have sat in the sun for years. Ill try that, how many coats of the "Magic Vaseline" did you put on?

Someone told me to use a straight razor blade to take off that shiit and it took him 10 hours ;) so im trying that on a patch tomorrow. Thx Mikdee I gotta give that a try, but you could be BSing me. You know, :watermelon: who knows what people will listen to on the Net.

MikDee

Banned

Do the pix look like I'm lyin? If so I'm dyin!,,,lol I did this in the summer sun, applied with my fingers, it's easy to figure how much to apply that way. Let sit till it looks dry, maybe a day or so, then just wipe away the excess. I think I gave it 3-4 coats, over as many days. I don't know how it would work on your boat, being it has that clear coating on it? You probably need to get that stuff off, leaving a porous finish. I haven't tried it on a metalflake boat, but I imagine it would look great. Have you tried a spot yet? Maybe it would help get the clear coat off?

briangcc

Commander

Before you go applying Vaseline to your boat, you might want to do some research on the forum and internet about its use.

If you have any inkling of changing colors in the future or even repainting with the same metal flake, you will make the life miserable of the person who gets the joy of repainting your boat. And it'll increase your repaint cost in the process due to the additional prep work needed to remove the Vaseline and provide a good substrate for paint adhesion.

If the metal flake is up to the point where your hand feels as you run your hand across the surface, Vaseline will do nothing to smooth it out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Agreed ^^^^^!!!!!;)