Steering wheel cap

cron78

Recruit
Hey CPO; Newbie here. Last July you got a new steering wheel with cap. How did/do you remove the cap. I have a '58 or so Nautalloy/Aquabird with cap and want to remove the cap for some restowork. Is it just held on by pressure or an internal clip of some sort, or do I need to find a screw somewhere?

Thnx if you can help!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Steering wheel cap

Hello Cron78 and :welcome: to iboats.

I have started a new thread with your question in for you... You will find you will get more responses to a new thread than just tacking onto an old thread. Please read the forum rules about 'hi-jacking'...

Thank you.
iboats mod team.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Cron. If you have a picture, it might help. Some snap in/out, some have screws. If we can see it, one of us may have seen on likes yours.

cron78

Recruit

Welcome Cron. If you have a picture, it might help. Some snap in/out, some have screws. If we can see it, one of us may have seen on likes yours.

Okay, I figured out the cap was held in by a spring wire clip. Now the old wheel won't come off the shaft. The nut comes off just fine. Any suggestions on this situation? I have a replacement Nautaloy wheel to install...

Attachments

• Aquabird Wheel.jpg
    Aquabird Wheel.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Put the nut back on but leave the threads recessed and protected. Place the wheel over your knees and smack the nut squarely with a BFH

cron78

Recruit

Put the nut back on but leave the threads recessed and protected. Place the wheel over your knees and smack the nut squarely with a BFH

Ouch. Will a SFH work?

I put the nut back on with a slight recess and set the nut on a block so that the wheel was above the work bench, then used a quickly assembled 2x4 frame to transfer the energy from a rubber BFH (mallet) to the back side of the wheel on all four arms. Didn't work. Hit the shaft with WD40 overnight, tried again. Didn't work. Hit the outside of the wheel with a little heat. Didn't work. How rough should I get before I try something else. I don't need to save the wheel, just the shaft, etc. Maybe I need to try using the ax instead of a rubber mallet??

GA_Boater

Not saving the wheel? Don't know why, it's perfect condition. :eek:

Set the wheel so the drum is down and the nut is up. Don't be afraid to use excessive force. It has to move such a little bit to break the rust free. Do you have a bearing puller?

cron78

Recruit

Success. Thanks GA and Redfred (PM returned). Concensus was to apply a little more persuasion, which I did. Turned the assembly over, set the arms of the wheel on two adjacent work benches with the drum hanging loose, switched from a rubber mallet to a big claw hammer, eliminated the 2x4 energy transfer (absorber?), and wailed away on the nut. Worked on the third strike. No rust, just paint in there. Don't ya just love a tight fit?!

Thanks, again. More questions to come in the future.