Upholstery Refurbishing with SEM products Marine Vinyl Coat

mnerren

Cadet
Has anyone tried this production on their vinyl upholstery? If so what was the out come?

Marine Flexible Coatings | SEM Products

Marine Vinyl Coat | SEM Products

I'm considering trying it out on one cushion to see how it works. I was quoted about $2000 to redo my 18 foot Chaparral's interior. Most of the vinyl is in good shape, just faded or stained. I'm going to try some more cleaning on it and see how it comes out, but if this product works like they say it does, I should be able to fix it up like new for a fraction of the price of new vinyl.

Thanks!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Upholstery Refurbishing with SEM products Marine Vinyl Coat

Use the advanced search function at the top of the forum pages.

Lots of great info in here, just have to look around & find it sometimes:
[h=1]Vinyl Paint[/h]
Please post some before & after pix. And note that several people posted that PREP was the key, like it usually is, to getting great results

I've used vinyl spray dye before, & I like how they turned out:
Before
Uglyoldfadedseats.jpg

After
sprayedboatseats.jpg

4 seats, I think I used 4 (Rustoleum Fabric & Vinyl dye) cans to get great coverage, and Autozone price matched summit racing prices.

good luck w/ your project

mnerren

Cadet

Thank you for the reply, I must not be using the search feature on this forum correctly, couldn't find that thread. Thank you for linking it in your reply. I'm now excited that I might be able to do something with this interior. I will take some before and after shots, but going to take my time and do a few cushions at a time and do it properly. Thanks so much.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stuff works great. Clean very well with the SEM soap and a scotch pad. Make sure you apply the vinyl prep liberally as its key to bonding the dye. It will cause the vinyl to distort temporarily, but it snaps back tight after you apply the dye. Here is a before/after pic from my vinyl restoration. Note my seats are three colors (four with piping), which makes masking the most difficult part of the project.
100_2675-vi.jpgPicture004-vi.jpgPicture005-vi.jpgPicture003-vi.jpg

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

JB and benjh....Just curious as how long the fabric paint holded up...like cracks/ fadding ect.....

Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member

JB and benjh....Just curious as how long the fabric paint holded up...like cracks/ fadding ect.....

Thanks

Unfortunately mine have yet to be used or exposed to sunlight. They are on a shelf in the basement waiting to see if my boss still wants the Bedliner Jet. If so they should see use mid-summer.

mnerren

Cadet

I've ordered all my products and will do the project this weekend. I will post up my before and after pictures. I'm doing practically the entire boat, a 1997 Chaparral 1830 SS. A friend that has some painting experience will be helping me out, so hopefully this will go smoothly.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've ordered all my products and will do the project this weekend. I will post up my before and after pictures. I'm doing practically the entire boat, a 1997 Chaparral 1830 SS. A friend that has some painting experience will be helping me out, so hopefully this will go smoothly.

Get lots of blue painters tape! That's where a majority of your time will be spent.

Ben