wet foam,redoing a redo

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I noticed my deck starting to get soft on the star transom area.So I pulled up the back deck area and its pretty wet. The foam is even wet this time. Will the foam dry out if left in the boat exposed or do I need to pull it out and let it dry? The transom is dry and the rest of the deck is great just that area. Will the foam be wet under the entire deck?

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: wet foam,redoing a redo

Hard to be 100% sure, but yep, I'd bet there is more wet foam then just under the 1 area of deck.

NO the foam won't dry, in or out of the boat, and it won't be worth salvaging. If it's waterlogged, even dry it'll no longer offer the flotation value it once did.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Start removing the wet foam at the transom working your way toward the bow and don't stop until you reach dry foam or all the foam has been removed... I'm pretty sure there won't be much foam left in your boat when you're done.

Just because the rest of your deck seems ok doesn't mean there isn't wet foam under it.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys, just wishfull thinking on my part that the rest of the foam Might be alright.lol

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since the the deck and tabbing is good on the rest of the deck, do guys think that if I cut the deck out at a 45 degree angle away from the tabbing and then dig out the foam, put the deck back in and glass over the cuts with a layer of 1706 and epoxy and then do some pour in foam. What do u guys think?

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

How did it get wet? how will you keep it dry? I'd be shocked if the bottom of the deck isn't already wet to some degree. And putting that wood back in after you have opened and fixed the foam is like wearing dirty socks after a shower IMO. Inspect and maybe you will get lucky, my bet is replace, then cover well to protect it. And for sure put some pictures up here, that way we see what you do, don't be shy about close ups and far away shots, it all helps.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey PG!!! Welcome Back! What's up with the boat? How do you suppose the wetness got in? I'd core sample the foam and see if it's wet all the way to the hull. If it's just wet on top then, Yep it'll dry out in a few days if you put a fan on it. Your angle cuts should let you replace the deck as proposed. You should really try and figure out how it got wet and make sure it doesn't re-occur.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey PG!!! Welcome Back! What's up with the boat? How do you suppose the wetness got in? I'd core sample the foam and see if it's wet all the way to the hull. If it's just wet on top then, Yep it'll dry out in a few days if you put a fan on it. Your angle cuts should let you replace the deck as proposed. You should really try and figure out how it got wet and make sure it doesn't re-occur.

Hey Buddy, I found a void in the glass up against the back gunnerwale. I think thats were the intrusion accured. The foam isn't saturated so I will let it dry awhile like u said and then cut into it. With some luck she'll dry up,but if she doesn't, I'll just pull the deck up and redo it again.

I'm going to read up on your tread, it's been awhile. Hope all is good buddy.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The foam isn't saturated so I will let it dry awhile like u said and then cut into it. With some luck she'll dry up,but if she doesn't, I'll just pull the deck up and redo it again.

This seems physically impossible, for the decking to become wet/saturated and soft without the floatation foam being saturated.

I personally would cut out a good sized chunk of the foam in the area under the soft decking, something like a 1 foot square section all the way down to the hull and investigate this matter further. If the foam is indeed dry you can patch it back with sheet foam... but I really think you're going to find some wet foam.