18' 84 Sylvan rebuild

REdington

Seaman
Just joined and looks like a great site for help. This boat has been in the family since new. It has a 115 HP Johnson that had a new power head installed in 98 and has about 150 hours on it. The last 2 summers it didn't get any use cause my wife illness. She has recovered and was getting ready to go hit the water this weekend and I noticed the transom was rotted. So we decided to do a rebuild of the interior. I had rebuilt the seats about 6 years ago and the were starting to crack again. My buddy junked out a real nice Rinker and I got all the interior so I'll be using the seats and whatever else I can use.

Today I have it almost strip out and will get floor and transom replaced when I get back off the road (OTR truck driver).
The biggest thing I will need to know is where to get some of the parts that I'll need like new rubber that goes around the top of the sides. I could use what I have but it does have some tears in it.

Rodney

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 18' 84 Sylvan rebuild

The rub rail insert?

Wefco & Taco Marine might have a profile that will work as a replacement, but I'm not sure they'll have an exact match.

REdington

Seaman

Here is the only pic I have before I started.

Here is the profile of the rubrail the I need to find. It is a hair over 1 inch wide. If I cannot find a replacement, I just reuse the old even though it has a couple of hole in it.

It been cold and rainy the last two days so I haven't got to work on it much as I'm working outside. We are going to buy a carport later this summer to keep it under so it'll stay out of the weather. I might have to put up my portable carport to keep everything dry as I work on it.

REdington

Seaman

The rub rail insert?

Wefco & Taco Marine might have a profile that will work as a replacement, but I'm not sure they'll have an exact match.

Thanks, I'll have a look and see what I can find.

Rodney

REdington

Seaman

I think I found the rubrail that I need from Wefco. It about $2.00 a foot, and shipping is around $20 so that not too bad.
Rodney

REdington

Seaman

Here is what she looks like today.

We are just doing the interior for now. The foam seams to be dry, but will core some and make sure. I'm undecided on what plywood to use. I will more than likely use marine grade as it is a lot stronger than the AC I see others using, but I see some using MDO. I will go look at some MDO before I decide for sure what I'll use.

Some of the changes I'll make will be to shorten the splash pan, build new consoles for the front and moving them forward as much as I can with the steering cable that on it. As a kid growing up we had a '73 18' Starcraft Holiday V and really like the way the steering wheel was positioned compared to the Slyvan. When driving the SC, I usually sat on a cushion or two and with the Slyvan, The Steering wheel is too low to do that. When making the seat pedestals, I'll also be raising them 2 or 3 inches.
Another is that I want to move the fuel tank to the rear bilge area. This is the tank I'm looking at. I'll have to remove enough of the 2 inner stringers to mount it and then make new ones that will mount just on the outside of the tank. Anybody see a problem with doing that??

Moeller 29 Gal. Below Deck Fuel Tank, #032529

SigSaurP229

Commander

OMG Pour in foam I am soo sorry,

Did Wefco tell you it was model 0101G?

REdington

Seaman

Got home today and started in. With all the horror stories that I've read about the foam removable, I was ready for a war. First I removed the 2 stringers and started on the foam. I have a 12" nail bar and shoved it under one side at the front and was very surprised when it popped and worked to the stern. It came out in one big chunk. The other side was the same way. Had to cut it up into manageable pieces to get it out of the boat caused of the water log.

Rodney

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

images
You should get on your knees and Thank the Foam Gods!!!! That's the first time I've ever seen foam come out like that!!!!

REdington

Seaman

WOG
Yea, it was a surprise for sure.
I will probably use your linseed oil, mineral sprites and marine varnish on all the wood. Just need to get the varnish today so I can get the transom wood painted tonight or in the morn.

Rodney

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just make sure to "Pool" it on and let it soak in. I'd start with the edges first using a brush and then use a roller on the flats. When it starts to "Pool" up and won't soak in any more you're gettin there!!! Wipe off the excess and let it dry for 72 hours. Careful with the rags. They WILL spontaneously combust!!!!:eek:

REdington

Seaman

Just make sure to "Pool" it on and let it soak in. I'd start with the edges first using a brush and then use a roller on the flats. When it starts to "Pool" up and won't soak in any more you're gettin there!!! Wipe off the excess and let it dry for 72 hours. Careful with the rags. They WILL spontaneously combust!!!!:eek:

I take it that I keep brushing the edges till it won't take anymore also. On the decking, I'm going to predrill all the holes for the rivets first, then apply the varnish mix so I'll be sure all the holes are coated good. What do I do about holes that I put into it after I get the carpet laid, like mounting the seats?? I thought about dry mounting them with carriage bolts and then I'll be able to soak holes that away. This ole girl is 30 yeas old and want her to last anther 30 years.

Thanks

Rodney

REdington

Seaman

Here is some of the pitting I have. I need to find the thread I was reading on how to fix it. If I remember right, first take the dremel and grind out all the deep pits, then fill with JB and then paint with Rustolium Pro etching primer. Should I use the fast set JB??

Rodney

REdington

Seaman

Getting ready yo go back out on the road. Didn't get a lot more done as family got in the way. Did get the 3/4" MGP for the transom cut in half. Will get it glued up as soon as I get back home. Then I'll wash the exposed alum with TSP and fill with JB, then prime with alum etching primer.

Rodney

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Wash the bare aluminum in 50/50 white vinegar and water mix, then etching primer. I prime after that and then, got to paint.

REdington

Seaman

Wash the bare aluminum in 50/50 white vinegar and water mix, then etching primer. I prime after that and then, got to paint.

Thanks Don

Got back home yesterday to rain and this morning, it is cool with a mist.This afternoon it is supposed to clear off so I hope to get the alum skin of the transom ready and start applying the JB to the pits. I'll be using the regular set JB and hope I don't get much sag out of it and can do it in one shot. We'll see how it goes.

Rodney

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can thin the JB with acetone if you need to make it a little more "Spreadable"...Is that a word?????:confused::eek: