1979 Phantom Gray Ghost

I was given a '79 Gray Ghost Tri-hull Bow-runner and I am planning on restoring it to almost factory.
The boat has been sitting uncovered for approx. 5-6 years so the carpet and seats are all shot. I want to be able to fish and ski out of it. I also would like to know how to check the transom and stringers for rot/decay before we start pouring money into the upholstery and all the pretty things.

Thanks in advance

-K

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 Phantom Gray Ghost

Congrats on the free boat! (maybe...) If it has sat uncovered that long, and the seats and carpet are trashed to start with, I doubt the under deck structure/transom is in very good shape at this point. A small ballpean hammer gently tapping on the bottom of the hull and outer surface of the transom will give you a rough idea of solid or not, just from the sound it makes. But if it was free, and not protected for that amount of time i'm gona wager a guess she is bad through and through. If you want to see the extent of the rot, just rip the seats and floor out and go from there. Oh, and pics man pics! :) There are quite a few tri-hull guys here, they can surely help you out if you decide to tackle the project.

Last edited: