Is This Boat Worth It?

Ownage04

Recruit
Hello everyone,

Looking for opinions and comments on this boat. Seller says it is a 21' Stingray. Want to know if it is worth picking up and trying to fix. Obviously needs some serious TLC. Currently these are the only pictures I have of the boat. Let me know what you think!

boat4.jpgboat2.jpgboat1.jpgboat3.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Will

jfas

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Is This Boat Worth It?

Hey Will,

I think we're going to need a lot more information before making a recommendation. First of all, how much are they asking? If it's $500 it may well be worth it, if it's $5000 probably not. Does the engine run? If so, make sure you hear it run. It appears that the boat has been stored outside and subjected to the elements for awhile. If so, it's likely that some or all of the boat has water damage and some rot. A boat this size is a substantial project both in terms of time and money. Best of luck!

JFas

Ownage04

Recruit

Currently this is the info I have but am working on more until I get out to see it for myself. It is his old tenants boat that has been sitting outside for 2 years (East coast so you're right, most likely some water and rot issues). The engine is a Mercury 200 and has not been started for those two years. Only reason I am even being curious about this is it is FREE as he just wants it off his lot.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

welcome aboard.

If the boat is free, and you can sell the motor for $200, then you can pay a landfill $100 to take the boat because it is most likely rotten. you can then have $100

do a bit of research on the site. the most expensive boats are the free ones.

however if the motor doesnt run. Have the other guy put it on craigslist for free.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

As what's been said; however, even if the motor is "bad" there are good amounts of usable parts that will command some good money? It looks like an late 80's 200HP, so my first goal would be to make sure it's running even before I tackled power washing the boat? It does look very weathered, but it also looks to be of a sefl-bailing deck design (not that that means it won't be saturated with moisture only means it might not be?

Good Luck, keep us posted!

~Brett

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

everyone here can give you their opinion on the boat...... but only doing a hands on visit and inspection will tell you..

Just because something looks cruddy/weathered does not mean it is for sure......

Ownage04

Recruit

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post something and give me their opinion. Greatly valued. I will go and inspect it myself and see if I can see some signs of damage. Has anyone dealt with boats being left out in the elements before? What would be some of the first places to look for damage?

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post something and give me their opinion. Greatly valued. I will go and inspect it myself and see if I can see some signs of damage. Has anyone dealt with boats being left out in the elements before? What would be some of the first places to look for damage?

Look for any natural opening that allows you to see below deck - ski locker, stowage compartments, bilge. Often, just letting your phone take a flash picture down there will reveal rot that you can't easily see. Obviously, a spongy deck or transom is a sure sign. Black or brown standing water is seldom a good thing. Smell can be a telltale. If it smells bad, it's probably worse.

Don't ask how I've become so knowledgeable about such things ... :facepalm:

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

T... Has anyone dealt with boats being left out in the elements before? What would be some of the first places to look for damage?

:facepalm: yup, right here... Check out my (now defunct) resto thread;

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...urb-restoration-project-big-dirty-631304.html

And no offense, but those pics look worse than mine did when I brought it home. My only bit of luck has been selling off bits and pieces to re-coop some $$$ and I've gotten to the point I'm simply giving it away for free, and even THAT has been troublesome.. :lol:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

Well if he's giving it away there should be no reason why he won't let you poke some holes in her. See if he will let you. Next guys gonna or should do the same thing. Lots of hard sweat equity involved to be sure. On another note therte are places that will come and take the whole boat as a donation. Check out the boat before you decide. All the guys have the right answers and sometimes there is a pearl that comes out of any ugly shell.
Guarantee you you will be ripping up the floor, transom, stringers, bulkheads. An investigation takes no time then the decision is yours. Most of us got hooked on a boat that needed more work than we bargained for. But at the end we own her.
I'll buy the teak and windshield.
Good luck!

Decker83

Commander

First thing first!! No such thing as a free boat!!!

Make sure he has the title to the boat.. NO Title.. Don't Take the Boat..

The boat can be restored.. Now do you have the place, time, tools, skill and THE MONEY??

I could easily see spending 3k to 5k on the repair not including the engine..

Would make for a sweet boat when done..:D

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

free boat? Nope see my sig line.

However including a trailer I had to buy I've got less than $10k in it, needs more probably will end up about $15k overall. For the boat I now have compared to a new or newer I'm money ahead..

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the guy has the boat because someone left it in his yard/lot then I would be surprised if he has a title for it. That said the motor is definitely worth some money running or not. If your friend can not come up with the title don't put a dime into the boat until you can find a way around that, some states are easier that others and some are downright impossible.

If I were in your shoes I would take the boat, get the motor running and sell it for $1000-2000 including all of the wiring and controls, you will get it if you aren't in a hurry and getting the motor running will be a great education for you. Junk the boat which may require you cutting it up as many landfills will not accept a boat without a title (my guess is too many wives have thrown guys boats away). Sell the trailer which you can usually do without a title as people find a way to title them as home builds. Then take your proceeds and what you have learned along the way and put it towards a better prospect. Or keep the motor and put it on a boat you have a title for (this is all assuming your friend can't come up with it).

Last edited:

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class

That truly is a very nice looking boat. Ask yourself a few questions,
Do I have 10K over the next few years to make her dependable and reliable.
Do I have 400 to 500 hours of free time over the next few years to put into her.
Do I want to spend hundreds of dollars and countless hours to obtain a proper title for her and her trailer.
Could I take that 10K plus time, and just buy a turn key boat and have fun now......

I myself am a sucker for boats like that and would dive in head first........then kick myself everyday after for doing it as my bank account dwindles.