Broke a screw in fiberglass while installing AC port plug

Joel_CA

Cadet
Hi guys and gals,

Im not sure if im in the right forum, but I was hoping some of you that might be in the middle of rebuilding, or have completed a rebuild, might have any experience with this. I was installing my new onboard battery charger (MinnKota MK 210D) and AC port plug (Noco Genius GCP1) when I ran into a little bit of trouble near the end of the installation. I had everything done and was admiring my new addition when I decided to replace the black screws that came with the GCP1 with some stainless steel screws. When I backed out the first screw, it immediately went soft and snapped in its place. The head sheared completely off. There appears to be about 1/8" of it still sticking out for me to work with but I won't know until I remove the other 2 and see whats left. Im expecting the same result with the remaining two screws. Any pointers on how to extract the broken screw(s) ? I was planning on taping off the area with masking tape and perhaps using a pair of vise grips and wishing for the best. Im just hoping someone can chime in on a less barbaric method that might be more of a sure thing. Any advice will surely be appreciated.

wee9.jpg

x022.jpg

9ajy.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Joel

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Broke a screw in fiberglass while installing AC port plug

I think you already have the best idea in mind. Remove the two remaining screws, gently of course, and use the vice grips as tight as you can get them and turn equally gently. I think it will come off nicely... As you proceed to remove the other two screws, turn them ever so slowly a little bit and then turn them back in a little. Work them out that way. Like if you are threading a hole or bolt. Of course if you do break the other two, drill them out and move up to the next size...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Ugh!
Unfortunately, barbaric is usually they way they have to come out...
If the other two screws come out OK and you can get the broken one to back out...
Great!
Otherwise, you could carefully grind the protruding bits of screw using a rotary tool [Dremel] to just below the surface and use something like Marine0Tex to seal them over, then clock the plug holder to another position...
Remember to pre-drill for the mounting screws and be sure to use a good Marine sealant on the threads and the holes to prevent any water intrusion which will cause rot in the long term...
Good Luck and let us know how it works out...

Joel_CA

Cadet

After carefully working them back and forth, the remaining 2 screws backed out without any problems. The broken screw however, put up a pretty good fight with my vice grips before breaking again- but this time, it broke flush. I didn't want to rotate the housing cause that would also rotate the prongs and it would really bother me not having them level. So after reviewing my options, I found that the 2" center hole that I drilled out for the plug housing allowed enough play where I could just lower the unit slightly and drill 3 new slightly larger pilot holes while still fully covering the original 2 holes and the broken screw. I put a light coat of 4200 on both sides of the rubber seal and proceeded to use 3 new shiny ss screws to mount the AC port. Crisis averted! Thanks for sharing in your experience guys.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Sound like a plan to me... :thumb: :thumb:

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sound like a plan to me... :thumb: :thumb:

Yup, if it works, it works! :) My suggestion would have been to try and get the vice grips (smallest ones you have) on the inside if the hole, and grab the tip of the broken screw. Then work it out through the back, keeping the same rotation was used as it was threaded into the fiberglass in the first place. Fiberglass in my exp. seams to react like tool steels when you put a screw in; if the pilot hole isn't a big enough diameter, it will bind up and SNAP goes your screw :lol:

Joel_CA

Cadet

Lessons learned the hard way are the ones that are less likely to be repeated. Now I know better about matching the pilot hole to the screw.

Joel