How do I make a plywood Center console and bench seating

Hands-on-kid

Recruit
Hi, I was wondering if It was possible to make a console and bench seating out of plywood?if so how? And on top of it all how do I fit it all in a 12 ft fibreglass tinny. That has a casting desk at the front!!

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Re: How do I make a plywood Center console and bench seating

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Of course they can. Your best bet would be to go with thin plywood, maybe 3/8" for the console and 1/2" for the seats and encase them in fiberglass and resin. That will give you strength and fairly light weight. What kind of a craft do you have?

saumon

Lieutenant

Keep it low (COG). A 12' can become tippy real easy. You mention "fiberglass tinny" which is a bit confusing..."Tinny" usually meant "made of aluminum"!

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The bench seats. Use 2x10's for you upper support with 1x3 cross members. Then top it off with 3/4 inch Advantech. I have made a seat with this and I can tell you it want go anywhere. And I covered it in a wood grain lanonum.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Years ago I made 2 12 x 16 and one as a base for a back seat, made them out of 1/4 and put the 1/12 x 1 1/2 wood in the corners for strength and painted them with enamel porch paint. first coat was 50/ 50 paint and linseed oil then upholstered them , they were in good shaps 18 years later when i sold the boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah sooo...which is it...a Tinny or a Glasser? If you want a Steering console to sit behind with a bench seat on the side then that's possible. Stand up center console, uhmmm not so much.

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

On a boat that small I prob wouldnt do anything except put a floor.

Hands-on-kid

Recruit

Yes we'll it is fiberglass but it is very much like a tinny, so the best description I could think of is fiberglass tinny. :watermelon: , anyways I'll post a couple photos when I can. I'm 15 and own 5 boats :) so I have plenty of projects going cheers.