Replacing 1997 Lund Boat transom?

1997Lund

Cadet
I bought a used 1997 SV16 Lund Boat with a 1991 2 stroke 25hp Yamaha.
Boat had all the electronics hook up to a buse under the battery box top. :facepalm:
Did not want that so i bought a fuse box and installed it. Took it to boat shop to have electrical wires hooked-up from battery, gps, downrigger, and wires coming from motor to charge battery. Not comfortable hooking up wires (did not want fire, or short out equipment).

When I dropped off boat to have wires attached.
I asked about the transom. Boat Shop said looks like transom wood is rotten.

I have looked at all the posts on this subject, what type of wood to use, seal it good, use s/s fasteners.

Would like to know if anybody has replaced their transom on a SV16 Lund Boat, and what difficulties I could run into?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Replacing 1997 Lund Boat transom?

To be honest... it should be a piece of cake.

Easy motor removal, remove transom gussets and cap, remove all hardware going through transom, pull the wood out and put the new in.

You don't have to use marine plywood, but you do want to use a good grade of exterior plywood that isn't treated. ABX or ACX will be a good build. MDO plywood will even be a better build.

Using 2 part marine grade epoxy to seal your new wood will ensure a long life for your new transom.

1997Lund

Cadet

Fiberglass or aluminum boat?

Mi duckdown I have a aluminum boat.
When I get it back on Tuesday or Wednesday, I will look more closely at the transom.
I may take the cap off and look at the wood. Hopefully it's not too bad, i can just remove wood in one piece.
Cutt new piece, seal it real good and replace it. Replace any bolts I remove with s/s.

1997Lund

Cadet

To be honest... it should be a piece of cake.

Easy motor removal, remove transom gussets and cap, remove all hardware going through transom, pull the wood out and put the new in.

You don't have to use marine plywood, but you do want to use a good grade of exterior plywood that isn't treated. ABX or ACX will be a good build. MDO plywood will even be a better build.

Using 2 part marine grade epoxy to seal your new wood will ensure a long life for your new transom.

jigngrub I will look at it more closely when I get it back.
Thanks for your reply.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

It rotted out for a reason, make sure you identify where the water is entering. Keeping it sealed once ya replace it, that will be the ideal situation. That should be a rather easy job, lots of examples of others that have done the same job here.

1997Lund

Cadet

hey jigngrub
Cannot figure out from Excume explanation how to upload pictures.
Would like to know what is the easiest way to remove rivets from cap, can I use same type and size to put cap back on.
Thanks Thomas Richardson

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

hey jigngrub
Cannot figure out from Excume explanation how to upload pictures.
Can you email me @ {removed** so I send you some pictures of my boat.
Would like to know what is the easiest way to remove rivets from cap, can I use same type and size to put cap back on.
Thanks Thomas Richardson

Thomas, you should remove your email address from your post. I'd NEVER post my ph#, email or physical address in an open forum. Besides, it's also against the iboats forum rules. A moderator may also remove it for you.

Info @posting pix:
11. PHOTO Posting Instructions

If you want to PM Jig, w/ your email address, he may reply so you can send the pix to him.

BTW: Whats Excume ^^^?

1997Lund

Cadet

I am a first time boat owner. What is the easiest way to remove Lund boat rivets from cap, to see what condition transom wood is prior to removing everything else. Hopefully wood comes out in one piece.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I used a drill to drill off the rivet heads, then punch the rest of the rivet out
So I skipped lunch today, waited til about 130p & ran over to the secret boat building lair:
Started here:
IMAG1105_zpsa4a92a88.jpg

Step 1:
Drill out transom knee brace rivets:
IMAG1107_zpsda988962.jpg

Step 2:
Use a drift pin & hammer to drive the drilled rivet out of the hull:
IMAG1108_zps65db7bd4.jpg

Step 3:
Remove transom knee from the bilge:
IMAG1109_zpsaf55dded.jpg

I love these 135* Split point bits for drilling out rivets:
DW1363.jpg

Using the split point 135degree bits, and careful use of the trigger, I don't have to use a punch to mark the center of the rivet head, and don't have to use a small bit 1st to make a pilot hole before I go after it w/ a 1/2" bit.

1997Lund

Cadet

Thanks jbcurt00 for the pictures. I understand now about removing rivets.
Did you emove a transom? Do you have anymore pictures of your boat project?