Anyone used Monstaliner over a polyester gel coat finish without applying primer?

magentawave

Cadet
I was wondering if anyone has applied Monstaliner over a polyester gel coat without applying primer first? If so, how long ago did you do this and how well is it holding up?

Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Anyone used Monstaliner over a polyester gel coat finish without applying primer?

Might try using google & searching for Monstaliner and boat.... A few similar less then ideal end results have been posted in several different forums & online sites.

Here's 1
:
To those of you wanting a bed liner type product to cover the floors and decks of your boat I will share my recent experience with Monstaliner. This is advertised as a bed liner type product but in my opinion it is just a heavy paint. It dried hard and slick and I was very disapppointed with the finish for a boat. I followed the directions in detail and I used their rollers and applied as directed. It is just not what I wanted. I have used Grizzly Grip on my truck bed and another boat and I really like that product. It makes a rough flexible surface that will not slip and my dogs have no problem with their paws getting traction on that product. I would have used GG again but I wanted a close match to my OD green boat and Monstaliner seemed to have a better color so I thought I would try it. I would not use it again for a boat or a truck bed liner. Just a heads up if you are looking at using ML.

magentawave

Cadet
Re: Anyone used Monstaliner over a polyester gel coat finish without applying primer?

Thats good to know and thank you but in my case I want a think orange peel type finish to go over the gel coat on the fiberglass shell of a motorhome which means I don't need or want the finish to have grip to it.

What I was asking is if anyone has successfully applied Monstaliner over gel coat without a primer.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You could probably get by without a primer if you sand the gel and knock the "shine" or oxidized surface off.

Prep work is the hardest and most important part of any "painted on" finish.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, then according to their website & info the primer is an anti lift primer.

I wouldn't want to do the work & have it lift,

The shell is polyester gelcoat that's never been painted?

Yep, j&g is probably right, but if you don't follow the recommendation of the manufacturer, it'll be souly on you if it under performs.

magentawave

Cadet

The gel coat on this has never been painted. Monstaliner would probably be perfect for what I want to do but its so dang expensive. I would like to find something similar to Monstaliner that leaves a smooth and heavy orange peel finish thats easy to clean that costs less than Monstaliner. Know of anything else?

Well, then according to their website & info the primer is an anti lift primer.

I wouldn't want to do the work & have it lift,

The shell is polyester gelcoat that's never been painted?

Yep, j&g is probably right, but if you don't follow the recommendation of the manufacturer, it'll be souly on you if it under performs.