iBoaters...Where are you!!!! - Members Map

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: iBoaters Get-Together!!!

I'm in. I belong to another very small boat forum and we have had a get together for 6 years, usually down at nickajack. Even sometimes do t shirts, glasses, koozies. We have usually 50-60 active members and I've met probably half of them as I travel around the country. We've even hosted members from other countries at our house.

Hey mud I noticed you on the map. Used to live in Willard, lots of time on Stockton never made it to Pom.

And I think my computer knows it's me - it lets me click on my name in my pop up and edit.

and watch out us TN boys gonna out number the other states...

I kinda envision all of us at some point taking over some state park, few of us with boats backing up all of the ramps, turning all of the shelter houses into mass congregational conversational areas, food poring out onto a slew of additional tables brought in by the national guard from the local armory and set up by several of the local boys scout troops in that community, the call from the local authorities activating the sheriff's posse (on horseback of course) just to handle the traffic, vendors setting up stands selling cotton candy, waffle cones, and funnel cakes, a little fat man giving away balloons to anyone that wants (or needs) one, jugglers and mimes entertains vast crowds, little kids getting their faces painted, the area void of clowns (I don't like clowns, they annoy the heck out of me and I don't think you can trust anyone that uses that much make-up at any one time), the lake level rising over a foot and a half from the onslaught of boats in the water, the swim beaches filled to capacity, the marina opening up giving away free refreshments and food (because it is good advertising), helicopter and hot air balloon rides, and bands coming in from five different states just to get to set up and play for an hour so that they can say that "they played there".

Hey redneck joe, been (at one time or another) on all of them (except the border lakes) and of the local lakes, I like Pomme De about the best; it's way smaller, but I've been amazed at how the Corps and the Park people keep it so picked up, mowed, and maintained. Always IMO better fishing there too.

EDIT: Mine wouldn't let me edit unless I took the link, but it just worked a couple minutes ago for me now too. Guess something had to update or something as my name wasn't a hyperlink. So is life in the boonies.

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I am supremely stoked to have the Honor and downright pleasure to be part of this amazing community for the last couple of years and while I don't get let out of my cage very often, I have had the most excellent opportunity to have met with 3 Iboaters and I am eager to meet more...
As always, any and all Iboats members have a standing open invitation to drop by and hang out if you are ever passing through the dangling Southeastern part of the US...
I will be looking forward to what develops in the form of a regional meet & greet, and if it is in any way, shape or form within my power, the Admiral n me will attend...
Especially if the bands, funnel cakes, cotton candy, balloons and Disney style fireworks are gonna be there...:rolleyes:
Definitely no clowns, they are creepy and with a group like ours, who needs 'em?:lol:
Happy Easter, y'all!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

RJ , looks like FL, and Ontario are tied . TN has some catching up to do .. :D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Are there now 2 of these maps going?

Seems I pinned one yesterday and by using the link above I don't see it!!!????

Tnstratofam

Commander

If we can't get our numbers up any higher here in Tn, allow us to humbly offer one of our beautiful lakes as a possible meeting place. Although it may be quite a trip for some members. Maybe we should consider regional get togethers as a better option.

jbcurt00

Staff member

What name did you add, I didn't remember seeing bonz-d get pinned. As admin, I get an email @every added pin.

John

tpenfield

Staff member

cool map WOG . . .

I've seen it done on some other forums, and with the depth of membership here on iBoats, I think it will be a really great thing for folks to collaborate in the real world in addition to the virtual world.

It appears that our collective geographical center is in Iowa :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Don't know if you added a pin again, but you're on there now, I just checked.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

I think GT & sphelps would agree with me when I say, the Florida Keys are pretty nice in the winter! (especially when ya'll are fighting them there polar vortexes!)

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in....add one more for Tennessee

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Back in the late 90's I owned a sign shop and there was/is a couple up in Canada who started a website for sign makers called "Lettervile.com." Its idea was to bring sign shops together for the exchange of idea's and techniques. It was/is known as the "On-line" letterhead meet. Back in the late 80's several paint slingers in Denver realized they were a dying breed. Computers and vinyl were taking over. They decided to share their craft so hand painting could carry on. From Letterville, sign makers from all over the world came together online, just as iboats does. They started to have live meets. Usually a long weekend, but some of the larger ones lasted up to a week. The smaller ones were held by a single shop and the larger meets would sometimes be held by multiple shops in an area.
People who attended would pay a registration fee to cover some of the expenses, but participants would usually be on their own for housing. A lot of times a meet would have a theme. When I held one it was called "Brush Fire at the Hose House." (my shop was in an old firehouse built in the late 1800's)
There was a lot of exchanging of ideas and techniques, but mostly it was a social gathering that included families. Sometimes the host shop would provide a meal or two, and sometimes have some sort of live music. Often just guys picking on their guitars and everyone singing along. Some better than others. lol
Unfortunately the downturn in the economy lowered significantly the number of meets and the attendance.
It is a lot of work to host an event, but well worth it. If anyone would like help putting something together I would be more than willing to help out.

Last edited:

sky7

Cadet

Great idea guys. I'm in for the lonely Pacific Northwest. Should somebody drop an honorary pin for "The Oracle"? Or am I just being too sentimental?

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Pinned, Man its scarce out here in Texas. I see there are three Pins for Lt.Dan Will the real Lt.Dan please rise?