93 Crownline 250; she 'was' dirty, but now shes clean and SPLASHED!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many of these swim platforms can be made moveable with a hydraulic transom lift. the vending is so that when they get pushed under the water, they dont rip apart. the same for when they are raised. if you are above the waterline, simply angle the underside up from the center (negative camber to the underside)

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well, hydraulics would be cool, but likely cost more than its worth for this boat.. :lol: The platform will still end up 6-8" above waterline, so I think it will be ok as long as I taper the bottom side and have adequate venting up near the transom. Took off the original boarding lader cover tonite.. wow, captain home depo was at it here to! Looks like the PO cut the bottom off and said "oh dear.. that's rotten... better seal it up with some caulking and screw it back together!"

IMG_20150416_203221_zps01q8xwf0.jpg

IMG_20150416_203230_zpsbsbug1fj.jpg

I pulled 3 wood screws out and lifted that off.. :laugh:

IMG_20150416_203252_zpshpx0rxsh.jpg

and after some gentle poking and prying...

IMG_20150416_204008_zpsk1rocwdf.jpg

It didn't even take me 10 mins.. a little grind and this will be ready for some new wood and a re glass

IMG_20150416_205810_zpsjse1dbeq.jpg

so then I got thinking......

bigdirty

Heres my first draft/sketch of the proposed platform..

IMG_20150416_204329_zpsv4onitn8.jpg

IMG_20150416_204335_zps8lqzu5jg.jpg

Made those yesterday.. but now with the original ladder cover off, I thought that it would be pretty slick to incorporate it into the rear edge of the new platform, and use the original factory boarding ladder. I could make up a new piece to 'cover up' the factory hole on the existing platform, and maybe even add a bracket or something to pop a seat pad onto it too.. Going to buy the wood tomorrow after work anyway, and start drawing it out, full size.. Funny thing, there is a 'new' guy at work (started in January this year, and we have hit it off pretty good) who just got back into the machine trade, after a 5-6 year stint at the local home hardware building center.. which happens to be the only local place that carries marine grade plywood, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4"... and he might be able to get me a deal on it.. :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Platform sketch looks good, you are a natural for boat modifications and repairs.

You might want to see if you can make the 2 outer cantilever braces 12 or 16" depth and still have free clearance of the outdrive. Also, I would consider synthetic materials for the core (assuming you will use fiberglass) so it does not end up like the ladder cover.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Our bayliner had notches at the transom, one thing we and everyone else loved about ours is thst it was very close to the water. Much easier to set your beverage up whilst floating. We we always the neighborhood 'coffee table'

Welcome back and nice work. Btw your pic with you and the beer made me do a double take both the pose with the bottle and you look amazingly like a friend of mine.

bigdirty

Thanks guys :) I really do enjoy doing this stuff, who knows maybe I'll start my own shop in the next few years..

Although there are likely other options for core material, what was easiest and likely cheepest for me is good old fashined wood... also, I've already bought the marine grade ply, and cut into pieces so no turning back now.. :lol: I've decided to add two stainless support tubes from the lower transom to somewhere close to the trailing edge of the platform in the end.. I'm hoping to get it built and installed on the boat in the next few weeks, then put the drive back on. That way I can plot out where and how to install the support bars and see the clearance I have to work with. Going to make up some stainless backer plates, threaded, for the inside of the transom to hold the thing on and hopefully it will at least support its own weight off the transom for a while till I figure out the bars.

redneck joe, good to see you are still around! Funny, you're not the first person to say that.. but there cant be another one of me.. hmm.. so am I the evil doppleganger or is he? :laugh: If you ever end up in the georgian bay area look me up, we'll have to have some beers :)

It was a light night yesterday, chipping away the rotten wood from the ladder hatch, but I also got a new door cut from 3/8" smoked Lexan. Just got a few pics of it tonight. I think its much better than the original waterlogged (and HEAVY) door. Changed out the old cracked vent for a nicer chromed one I had in my parts department.
IMG_20150417_172607_zpsmbhymdbl.jpg

It was a bit tricky lining up the latch/lock. I drilled and tapped the lexan for 4mm flathead stainless screws, but didnt want the screws sticking through.. even had to grind a custom bottoming tap.. although it turned out decent in the end I think.
IMG_20150417_172626_zps1npm48kg.jpg

?@
So on to the swim platform adventure... made some slight changes/adjustments to the design, and started cutting $120 worth of 3/4" ply..
IMG_20150417_195607_zpsm0ucdtiz.jpg

IMG_20150417_201634_zps16xmyu75.jpg

I'm going to angle the rear of the platform, to suit the original ladder/cover and try to copy/match up with the original lines of the aft part of the boat, hopefully it wont look like so much of an add on or afterthought.
IMG_20150417_214115_zpsy9yspir2.jpg

IMG_20150417_224148_zpsmwdxeuun.jpg

?
I think I can fit the original ladder in there, but it will be supported by a few pieces of aluminum angle through bolted to the platform. (No need to make an enclosed space for water to sit, or add extra weight to this thing.. my guess is its going to be around 200+ pounds in the end.. :eek: ) It should give a nice fully flat surface with the ladder down or stowed, just as the original setup... just with 2 feet more space to stand :lol:

Last edited:

bigdirty

Though id put this up, if anyone is interested, or maybe it will come in handy to someone.. I made a little rig to lay out custom curves while drawing all my cut lines.. mainly for the rear edge of the platform. I wanted to somewhat copy the factory curve and arc of the integrated swim platform as i felt a dead straight line would look odd, and the ladder cover has the curve to it already.
Nothing high tech, its just a thin piece of pine off cut from.. something :lol: screwed to another piece, with a wedge block on one end. Tighten the screw in the middle and/or move the block in and the arc changes. Lay flat and marker/pencil line along the edge. I just played with it till I got something I liked, and then transferred to the other side.

IMG_20150417_181927_zpsi6rbjpmp.jpg

IMG_20150417_181918_zpsicjiaqkl.jpg

Just realized looking through these pics.. I should really bring my empty bottle back to the beer store.. :lol: guess that's on the list for tomorrows chores...

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
:thumb: . . . It does not take you long to get moving on a project. Looks good. I think the keys to success will be fully encapsulating the wood and making sure it is strong enough at the attachment points to hold a bunch of people. (1,000 lbs / 450 kg)

Mikeopsycho

Wow!. You sure don't waste any time! That's gonna be an awesome swim up bar! Yup, you gotta get rid of the empties, free up a little room in your shop. You can always reinvest your deposit money in more consumables and start a new bottle collection ;o).

bigdirty

reinvest your deposit money in more consumables

:lol: yup... that's about it...

I'll see how much I can get done in the next few weeks, its gona be a busy time.. and work is picking up so I might be doing overtime. Make hay while the sun shines right? :)

zool

Captain
My big teak platform was just attached with 3 stainless L brackets bolted thru the transom, and a few aluminum poles running from the outer edge of the underside, and screwed into the lower transom. That was it, it never moved in all these years, and easily held a few guys and a gaff, chum bucket, ect.

Contouring with the boat is prolly a good idea, a big rectangle sticking off a rounded boat might look...well, not natural ;)

Looks good so far BD!

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Though id put this up, if anyone is interested, or maybe it will come in handy to someone.. I made a little rig to lay out custom curves while drawing all my cut lines.. mainly for the rear edge of the platform. I wanted to somewhat copy the factory curve and arc of the integrated swim platform as i felt a dead straight line would look odd, and the ladder cover has the curve to it already.
Nothing high tech, its just a thin piece of pine off cut from.. something :lol: screwed to another piece, with a wedge block on one end. Tighten the screw in the middle and/or move the block in and the arc changes. Lay flat and marker/pencil line along the edge. I just played with it till I got something I liked, and then transferred to the other side.

IMG_20150417_181927_zpsi6rbjpmp.jpg

IMG_20150417_181918_zpsicjiaqkl.jpg

Just realized looking through these pics.. I should really bring my empty bottle back to the beer store.. :lol: guess that's on the list for tomorrows chores...

lol can't believe you drink so much brava. That stuff harsh. Cheap thou!

bigdirty

ya, its the cheep thing that got me drinking it, but I actually don't mind it.. :p that's the winters worth of collection.. :lol:

bigdirty

Had a fairly productive weekend.. First, to make more room for boat related endevours, I took the wall of empty bottles back for refund, and then I got the old jetta out of the shop... she got a bit dusty over the winter hibernation, and didnt run very well at first.. puffed blue smoke for a few mins but then settled down and seams to be good to go. just needs a good wash. :)
IMG_20150418_105501_zpsk8qpca02.jpg

Back at the platform, after a slight shop re-arange. Need a real good massive clean up in there, but I want the boat put together and in the water first. I'm getting close now.. hoping by end of week to have it ready for glass..
IMG_20150419_211836_zpsqoargory.jpg

Put it together, take it apart, put it together, take it apart... oh man...
IMG_20150419_183149_zpsnvpv4a1k.jpg

Stopped in at west marine today... :lol: (you all know how THAT goes..) and well.. I saw it, and thought, hmm.. that would look nice and work perfectly.. and for $140, I couldnt build the thing...
IMG_20150419_152929_zpslpzsrepx.jpg

its techincaly an "over platform" ladder, but I want it recessed.. and so it becomes recessed :laugh:
IMG_20150419_152955_zps39i2eaki.jpg

I redesigned the ladder pocket to suit, and I will make a cover plate in the end out of 1/2" starboard. Going to add another 3/4" piece to the underside to strenghten it, and make up some stainless backer plates/washers at work to secure it after glass and gel coat.
IMG_20150419_211953_zpst3bxveeo.jpg

zool

Captain
Yup, the West stores are fun to cruise, I was there the other day picking up some silica, did my usual walk of the aisles. A bit overpriced, but it sure is nice to have the item in the car with you, while the ink on the receipt is still wet, as apposed to waiting for the postman lol

Sweet ladder, you can pull chicks up from well off the beach :D

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, West Marine comes in handy, only when I cannot wait for stuff. . . Cleaned them out of gear lube the other day.

Swim Platform looks nice. I am considering making something similar to yours, except making it out of a foam core instead of wood.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah big d my garage look similar to what you had. Been telling the wife id clean up as soon as the boat projects were done well you know how that goes but i finally got sick of it myself sooo....

20150225_125247_zpsd8540fcc.jpg

bigdirty

yup..I need to spend a night on shop clean up at this point.. I'll post some pics tomorrow, its pretty bad actually. I think I need a break from the platform anyway, starting to get frustrated and making too many goof ups. Also started 10 hour shifts this week, so between every day life/commitments, and getting enough sleep to function properly at work, I may not be getting this project done at my 'usual' pace :lol: But seeing as I'll be making some extra dough on overtime the next few weeks, I may end up getting a 'professional' to do the glass work for me, as I just don't have the time it seams.. Got a rough quote from a local guy for around $800 to glass, sand, and gel coat it for me. Even if it bumps up to $1000, its still cheaper than ordering one online, and it will be a custom one off that I can still say "I built that" ..

bigdirty

Sweet ladder, you can pull chicks up from well off the beach :D

oh, and to this zool, its also got a 275lb rating,. Which generally is WELL over the girls I want to try and get on my boat anyway, so it should work just fine.. :laugh: