1994 Chaparral 230 rebuild thread

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was suggested in another thread that I start a dedicated thread to the rebuild of my boat. This way everyone could keep track of the progress and decisions made. So here we have it. This is the beginning of my long journey into pain and agony. LOL

The reason for this rebuild was that the floor had a soft spot near the ski locker and another in the rear passenger portion. Carpet was shot and the boat just needed a good overhaul. Seems very solid, but just has several years on it.

I do not have any pics yet as I just havent taken any. If the weather holds for tomorrow ill get out and take some.

So far here is what I have accomplished.

• Removed the structure under driver and passenger console.
  • Removed the structure which held up the front seats for the open bow
  • Drilled several test holes in the stringers where space allowed to check for water intrusion or rot. So far all negative.

I know everyone is going to scream that if the floor was bad then the stringers are bad. That may indeed end up being true but for now I can tell you that I dont see that as being true. When I pull up the rest of the floor ill know for sure. So for now im going with they are good.

My intentions were to replace the floor and all seating / console structures. Then coat everything in some sort of bed coating like Monstaliner or al's etc.

The issue I am running into now is glue removal. I have tried grinding the stuff with no avail. I purchased a wire wheel for my grinder and it does remove some. It ultimately only ends up smearing a bunch of it. I also purchased a gallon of adhesive stipper which also removes some glue, but still leaves a very smeary, sticky surface even after 3 applications.

So as of today the glue is my "sticking" point. No pun intended. I do not want to coat over a sticky mess with bed liner. Im not even sure if it would be safe to apply carpet over the stuff if I gave up.

Any hints as to getting around this mess we call carpet glue. I never in my wildest dreams thought that glue would be a harder task than actually removing or re installing the floor. It so far is proving me wrong.

Thanks

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 Chaparral 230 rebuild thread

Send a PM to one of the Moderators and have them combine all your other threads into this one. It'll make things SOOOO much easier.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone try the easy off method for glue removal? Been reading a few threads about it as it seems promising

thanks

pckeen

Commander

I used easy off, but it left residue behind - I think I cleaned the rest with good old elbow grease and paint thinner.

My intentions were to replace the floor and all seating / console structures. Then coat everything in some sort of bed coating like Monstaliner or al's etc.

If you are looking for protection of the wood against rot, try spar varnish or epoxy. Or are you looking at the bed liner as the final finished surface?

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only way I know of to remove the glue, is to demo the floor underneath it and toss it in the garbage. :)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I know just the thing to take off stubborn adhesive. Use Xylene is a sprayer to soak the affected area down and before it flashes off use a scraper. Xylene is used to reduce synthetic paints and adhesives. I found it takes off adhesive that nothing else will even come close to touching.

xylene%20large%20qt.jpg

Last edited:

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used easy off, but it left residue behind - I think I cleaned the rest with good old elbow grease and paint thinner.

If you are looking for protection of the wood against rot, try spar varnish or epoxy. Or are you looking at the bed liner as the final finished surface?

Yeah I was just gonna use the liner as a finished surface.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

So if anyone is following this I have found a recipe that has worked well for me. I used a gel type adhesive remover from lowes. I applied this to the glue and allowed to set, followed by a good scraping. This process is repeated a couple times then I used a course scotch brite pad mixed with Xylene to really get into the creases and break up whatever stubborn glue is left. Finally i take rags dipped in Xylene to remove the last bit.

Its not fun, but I was able to do half the boat in about 5 or so hours. I hopefully will have the other half clean this week.

Looks like its time to order epoxy, mat, and whatever liner I plan to use.

Watermann

Hey adhesive can't stand up to toxic chemicals and solvents when combined with 2 parts elbow grease!

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

So now that I am nearing the part where ill need to cut the front structure for seats etc I want to discuss the best way to make templates. Without just blindly hacking up wood in the hopes of making it match the contours of the floor does anyone have a good method for making templates.

When making smaller parts for cars etc I would usually use posterboard or something. This doesnt seem to be a very good method for something of this size. Any thoughts on using some sort of foam board I could press into place. If the foam was soft enough maybe it would keep the shape of the floor.

Any experienced advice on here to make this easier.

Watermann

I see most guys using cardboard to make their templates when they don't have the original piece.

Another way is to get a roll heavy painters paper and a roll of frog tape. If it's a wide span you can tape a couple runs together to match the width of your plywood. Trim to fit one side, tape it in place and then stretch it tight across the span and either cut or fold over to fit the other side. It usually takes 2 people, one in each side stretching the paper tight.

Or you can use measurements which generally ends in the hacking thing your wanting to avoid.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Cardboard is your Template Friend!!!:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Cardboard, masonite or 1/2" rigid foam all work for templating, often a 1" piece of foam allows you to also gauge the bevel across the bottom of a board too.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well Ive been working and unformtunatly have found at least one rotten / wet stringer. Ughhhhhhh

Any best practices for getting the foam out from under the floor. That right now is taking me the longest time.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have figured out a method that seems to work well for me regarding foam removal. I have been using the combination of a Sawzall, demo bar, and small pick ax. Its not pretty but it seems to work.

I am about to start removing more of the stringers and am curious what is the best way to remove them. so far I have been using a sawzall but due to space need a way to remove larger portions using smaller cuts. Any thoughts???? Right now im thinking about cutting the fiberglass only with a fiber wheel in a grinder then beating the wood out with a hammer.

Anyone been down this road.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

A lot of members have had good success using the Multi-tool with the rounded blade
An old time carpenters saw to cut sections of the foam and then a sharpshooter shovel to pry it out. Putty knives and scrapers once you get close to the hull.

Last edited:

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lot of members have had good success using the Multi-tool with the rounded blade
An old time carpenters saw to cut sections of the foam and then a sharpshooter shovel to pry it out. Putty knives and scrapers once you get close to the hull.

Yeah I have thought about getting a multitool. I just havent yet as I was curious if they would even hold up. Im always skeptical about the new gimmicks and what not out there but many people seem to have them and like them... so i guess its worth a shot... just seems like they would be slow.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

What fiberglass should I use when I begin to install the stringer sections. I keep reading about people using 1708. Is that a must. When I placed my order I only ordered a bunch of 1.5 oz and it appears thats what was used during the original build. Would it be acceptable to use what I have and not 1708?

Thanks

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks like you're asking some good questions. I can benefit from the answers so I'm going to tag along if that's OK.

Good luck with your project.

Mike

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also curious what upgrades people who have done this type of work recommend. When I say upgrades I don't necessiarly mean electronics etc. Im more interested in things like ways to allow for better drainage. Ways to seal wood better than the factory. Ways to make things stronger than factory.

Dont get me wrong if you have an idea for above deck that would enhance the boat im all ears. Im just specifically at this time interested in things which are structural.

just curious what experience may have taught others.