1972 19 ' Comanche project

Captainsalp

Cadet
I have a 72 Comanche. I've owned the boat for 10 years. I love it. It's been in the ocean, bays, rivers and even Lake George. Everywhere we run her she treats us just great! It is a very stable hull and if you have noticed a lot of the new deck boats have a similar hull design. It runs OK with the Evinrude 88 Special on her but it would run great with anywhere from a 115 to a 150.

The Transom and Deck have gotten a little soft, so this winter I plan to open her up and replace whatever is in need. It's that good of a boat I'll do what ever it takes to restore her!

If any of you fine gents know of a Thunderbird Bow Rider for sale I would love to get my hands on one.

Thanks.

Captainsalp

Cadet
Re: Thunderbird trihull project started

I have a 1972 19 ' Comanche. I've owned her since 95. Great Boat! This fall she will go thru a rebirth. I can't wait to begin the exploratory surgery on her. I plan to replace the deck, stringers and transom. I'm not sure if I'm going to remove the top or just cut off the aft portion of the top to get to the transom. I have a good friend, who is an expert fiberglass man and he suggested replacing the transom from the out side, cutting the outter portion of the transom and re-using the cut glass after the transom wood is replaced. Anyone ever hear of that process? I plan to post the whole project from start to finish. I replaced the deck, stringers and transom of a 63 Cobia Cuddy, it came beautiful. I'm confident this project will also be a success.

Captainsalp

Cadet
Re: cathedral thunderbird boat

Re: cathedral thunderbird boat

I have a 19 foot 72 Comanche, I am planing the same restoration project for this fall. I can't wait to get started. I was exited to see that your stringers appear to be in great shape and that they are encapsulated in fiberglass. I hope my superstructure looks as good as yours. How was the deck attatched to the stringers? Was the foam a pain to remove? Do you have any more pics?

Captainsalp

Cadet

I have a 1972 19 ' Comanche. I've owned her since 95. Great Boat! This fall she will go thru a rebirth. I can't wait to begin the exploratory surgery on her. I plan to replace the deck, stringers and transom. I'm not sure if I'm going to remove the top or just cut off the aft portion of the top to get to the transom. I have a good friend, who is an expert fiberglass man and he suggested replacing the transom from the out side, cutting the outter portion of the transom and re-using the cut glass after the transom wood is replaced. Anyone ever hear of that process? I plan to post the whole project from start to finish. I replaced the deck, stringers and transom of a 63 Cobia Cuddy, it came beautiful. I'm confident this project will also be a success.

Just an update: The comanche has been fully restored. New Stringers, Transom, Fuel tank, fill hose, vent line, sender and gauge. Entire boat rewired, New Deck, Seats and upholstery. You name it it's new. It came awesome and a small piece of history has been preserved. GO FOR IT! JUST BE PATIENT...DO NOT RUSH...THINK IT OUT...PICK PEOPLES BRAINS. GOOD LUCK.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Hope you don't mine, I'd like to watch along the way as well. I see you have a lot to get her back together again. I have to watch your progress...

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: 1972 19 ' Comanche project

Hi there Captainsalp, welcome to iboats!:)

Just wanted to let you know that we have created a thread of your own for you by moving your many post you had posted in years past all together as one vs having them laid out in many other forum members threads of the same model boat.

How about posting some before and after photos of your project?:)

Hi I own a 72 I also did a resto although my family has Owend it since new I was wondering if you had any pictures?

Also 135 is the legal max, I have the original plate that states this. also max occupancy is 5.