Cabin Wood suggestions?

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice
So as always once you start one fix on a boat it opens a whole bunch of other ones. In getting ready to gelcoat the top decks, I checked the bolts under the rails to see if I could remove them. Every single one was leaking rainwater into the cabin....So to get to them I had to remove the kitchen!

I had previously done the cabin in Mahogany (well Pine that looked like Mahogany) but being the cabin is not large it is seems like a lot of like a mahogany to me. Does anyone have any suggestions or photos that blends in light wood with the mahogany?

Here is where I started:
IMG_2296.jpgIMG_2705.jpg

Here is the latest...

The bathroom door
IMG_2778.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2710.jpg
    IMG_2710.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2796 (2).jpg
    IMG_2796 (2).jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Cabin Wood suggestions?

A few more pics

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

Leave it to me but being I am rebuilding the kitchen with a microwave etc...I thought a wood mix might be cool.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

There is some nice looking formica out there that would compliment the wood without making your cabin a cave.

Good luck.

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice

I thought of that too. I wanted to try to blend in some light wood does anyone have any picture's. I have found some but they are not really a good fit. I figured I would throw it out in case someone had done it on thier own boat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Maple and Mahogany! You've done a good job on your Pine. Sooo... just use some Clear Pine and keep it Natural to accent what you already have. Multiple coats of Varnish and you should be good to go. Been makin' Sawdust for over 40 years here in Okieland so if i was closer I'd come help ya!!!;)

anna+v+berth.jpg

anna+cabin+sole.jpg

settee.jpg

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice

Gorgeous! That is absolutely beautiful work.

That is exactly the contrast i'm looking for. The pics are what I needed to get a good visual. Thanks... Here is a really dumb question. I originally did poly as a topcoat. Whats the difference in varnish?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well without getting to technical, Poly is kinda like a plastic film that lays on top of the wood. Varnish is more penetrating and contains a lot of Solids that seals the wood and also provides UV protection if it's a Marine type varnish. Not as critical for Cabin use. I still like it for boats though.;)

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks...Ill use varnish on all of the new wood. I also was able to bend some thin wood around the door but I have to ask. How did you make those turns on the wood rails.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

First off that's not my work I have done similar work but that's not my work. to make the curved corner you take three pieces and cut angles and then router the curve. if you look closely you can see that in the detail

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Looks good with the wood... Is that a 28' Wellcraft Coastal?

johnnyv49

Seaman Apprentice

Sure is 1989 Coastal 2800.

Start
IMG_2295.jpg

This wound up being my "project"...turned full rebuild.

So far:
IMG_0014.jpg
Built hardtop from scratch (original owner used plywood)
Repainted Frame
Awlgrip sides
Hung engines
New Dash
New seating
electronics from previous boat
Dive ladder

Total Rewire:
IMG_2854.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg

Currently Spraying topside, painting decks, cabin rebuild, closing windows...
Next custom Dive seating for loading divers.

Why do we do this to ourselves!