'94 Crownline 182 Restore transom/stringers/deck

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You know the story; I was checking out the rust on my trim pump when I heard the deck under my knee crunching. I dug out enough of the sole to know the stringers had rot too. I think that was two years ago and I can say for sure that foam will eventually dry out if exposed to air for long enough! I discovered iboats members that were describing how they had successfully restored their transome/stringers/sole about three months ago and decided, very reluctantly, to join in the madness.

I have a problem when people imply that not taking care of your boat is the reason for rot or at least the only reason for rot. I have tried my best to take care of my boat. I bought it new and have built two garages to keep it out of the elements. It's whole life it has been in a garage or under it's cover in a carport (for one of it's 20 years). I have religiously opened up the ski locker, front seats and rear deck to help air it out when stored. I honestly don't know what more I could have done to protect it.

With that said, it did get used a lot and many wet skiers and swimmers have come up soaking wet and dumped many gallons of water on the rear deck and vynal seats. At first I thought there must be small cracks in the decking that let the water in - most of the rot is toward the rear. Now I'm beginning to think that most of the damage was caused from below. The drain holes in the bulkheads were not protected and it looks like most of the damage was caused by water wicking up and across the exposed bulkheads. The boarding ladder, with bolts below the waterline, has no wood left between the fiberglass shell.

Anyway, right or wrong on my forensics, I feel an obligation to this boat for 20 years of faithful service. I couldn't sell it to some unsuspecting buyer the way it was and couldn't see selling it for what it was really worth. The hull is like new, most of the upholstery is in very good shape and the 5l engine and Alpha I gen II is in great shape and only has about 300 hours on it. It also has a nice torque prop and a trailer that has a removable tongue so that it fits in a shorter space.

i retired about a year ago so I have the time - only other duty is to completely remodel the house and the kitchen is finished. I am probably not going to go at this hard as some of you - working outside, nights and weekends in all sorts of weather after work. I have enough space to work on it in the garage and can move it outside for the messy stuff. I've already started, pulled the engine and removed the drive/bell housing and transom plate and removed the wood on the transom and removed most of the deck/sole. Some of the forward section is solid as well as the engine mounts but I need to drill a few more holes to check, so I am considering partially restoring up to those parts. Haven't decided. I thought I'd start this thread to help others with similar boats and I'll have some questions so I better try to give back.

I've decided to fight my desire for perfection and just try to do a good job - at least make it better than it was originally. So, we won't be going with epoxy and the best marine plywood. We will be using poly and decent exterior ply or better and concentrating on doing a good layup job and protecting all wood better than it was from the manufacturer.

I wanted to use this first post to introduce the project and to test a few pictures so here goes!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3

Rickmerrill

Re: '94 Crownline 182 Restore transom/stringers/deck

As I suspected, pics didn't come out the way I hoped. I'm trying to do this on an ipad and I noticed the pictures are upside down for some reason. I' ll figure that out. I don't know how to make pictures show up directly in the post like some have done. Do I need to use photo bucket or similar for that?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the iBoats Drydock!

As you've discovered, NOTHING can overcome POOR workmanship and that's what it appears has happened to your well cared for and maintained boat. Once the exposed areas got water penetration the wood can never recover. Over the years the wet/dry cycle eventually leads to rot. If you do the correct job of sealing it and then Maintain it, this won't reoccur.

Best way to post your pics is to open a Free Photobucket account and then use the IMG Code to copy and paste your pics into your iBoats post. These two links will help get you started...

"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

(Click the pic to Download and view the PDF File)
View attachment MaterialsList.pdf

This link will show you Everything else...
http://forums.iboats.com/completed-b...on-510077.html

Rickmerrill

Thanks for the fast reply WOG, I'll go study up on how to post pics now. I'll pretty much be following your guidance on this rebuild so thanks for all of the time you've put into this forum with your great advice.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You might wanna rethink that! Everybody KNOWS I'm just an...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Wood's just being modest. He's an excellent source of info and he was endlessly helpful to (and patient with) me as I fumbled through my restoration. I'll be following along, too, just to see how your project goes. I like your attachment to your boat; sort of like a commitment to an old friend.

Good luck on your project! I found I enjoyed the work (well, not the grinding part) and it feels really good to complete your own boat.

Jim

Rickmerrill

Jim, know what you mean about Wood. Anybody that researches and comes up with new ways and actually changes his mind is somebody I listen to. Yes, boats have played a big part in my life keeping me sane and entertained.

I'm sitting in Athens Greece so it will be two long weeks before I can get back to the restore. MIL is not doing too well so my wife is here to help. I'm just here to lend moral support. In the mean time I wanted to practice getting pictures into the thread and add a few tips, tricks and surprises along the way.

One surprise was several of the stringer to bulkhead joints are what I call notched:

http://

That's a stringer going left to right and a bulkhead attached at the fuel tank area.

Another surprise was under the starboard console area. As the outermost stringer goes forward they used a pretty severe scarf it looks to me to bend the stringer.

Ok, like I said, just wanted to see if I could get the pics working. Thanks for the help Wood!

Last edited:

Rickmerrill

Uh, I see that's called a kerf not a scarf.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer

Permission to come aboard?

Rickmerrill

Permission to come aboard?

Welcome aboard but watch your step! Just got back from a remote area of Greece - plan to start grinding on the transom when back in the states - another 8 days.

I could use some guidance on how I should go about measuring for the stringers, don't think the transom fitting will be an issue or the stringer height (I left and inch or two along the hull sides for now) but keeping track of what went where and all of the "joints" has me a bit confused.

For removing foam I used a long/narrow spade shovel - it came out in big chunks and didn't stick too hard to the hull (the idea came from the forum so thanks to whoever took a picture of the shovel they used). The other forum idea of using a wire brush on a grinder worked well too, I used it in a couple of areas too small for the shovel to fit into.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd recommend using a Magic Marker and mark the sides of the hull at the deck height now so you'll know where all the intersections were. Make a drawing with all the measurements for future reference.

Rickmerrill

I'd recommend using a Magic Marker and mark the sides of the hull at the deck height now so you'll know where all the intersections were. Make a drawing with all the measurements for future reference.

Ok, thanks Wood. So I could start at one of the marks on the hull side and measure in to an intersection and from there the drawing would take me to any of the other intersections? I was a machinist for several years and could split a nat's *** but something about my brain doesn't get this kind of stuff real quick. I know I need a way to put everything back where it was before I remove it.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rick I will be following along as well. I currently have a 93 Crownline 196 that was in the same shape as yours. I just finished building stringers and bulkheads and am currently in the process of wrapping them in 1708.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...repair/93-crownline-196-deck-more-638368.html

Since we have a similar build, I'd be more than happy to help where I can, although I am not as useful as some of the veterans here.

The way I proceeded is much like the comments above, I had 2 to 4 inches of existing deck that is still in the boat that I referenced the stringer height off of. When all is finished and if my calculations hold true, I should be within 1/8" of the original deck height.

As for the drawing, I do highly encourage this as well. I have approximately 10 pages of sketches showing transom, stringer layout, engine mounts, ......etc. Just ensure you have a common reference point to eliminate human error (I had this problem). They are very helpful when your memory gets a little cloudy from time passed.

As for now, good luck and I look forward to seeing your updates.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Something as simple as this with dimensions filled in, will be a great aid when you're ready to "Go Back" with the rebuild...

Rickmerrill

Rick I will be following along as well. I currently have a 93 Crownline 196 that was in the same shape as yours. I just finished building stringers and bulkheads and am currently in the process of wrapping them in 1708.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...repair/93-crownline-196-deck-more-638368.html

Since we have a similar build, I'd be more than happy to help where I can, although I am not as useful as some of the veterans here.

The way I proceeded is much like the comments above, I had 2 to 4 inches of existing deck that is still in the boat that I referenced the stringer height off of. When all is finished and if my calculations hold true, I should be within 1/8" of the original deck height.

As for the drawing, I do highly encourage this as well. I have approximately 10 pages of sketches showing transom, stringer layout, engine mounts, ......etc. Just ensure you have a common reference point to eliminate human error (I had this problem). They are very helpful when your memory gets a little cloudy from time passed.

As for now, good luck and I look forward to seeing your updates.

atjohnson,

Thanks for the good wishes. I have been following along on your build with great interest and am particularly impressed that you got the 1708 to lay down up-and-over the stringers! I'm sure I will have some questions, particularly about the bow cap area. I'm hoping to leave some of the forward area as the port side forward of the console looks fine and I think I can reach the starboard areas I need to replace. I think badfish95 pulled this off. I know this might or might not be smart - more on this later, I was planning to go after the transom first.

Rickmerrill

Something as simple as this with dimensions filled in, will be a great aid when you're ready to "Go Back" with the rebuild...

Thanks Wood,

That's exactly what I needed to see! Amazing how the words don't always get the message across like a couple of sketches can. This will be the next step for me.

Rickmerrill

Just a quick update. Back from trip, rested and mowed yard and got some boat work in today.

The suspect:

The inside before today's work:

Todays work next post.

Rickmerrill

Stern view after some wood removal. The only wood still attached is touching the foam - this is where I step into the boat.

Discovered a bit-o-rot in the engine mounts (I cutoff the first two inches where it steps down and put the blocks on top of the engine mounts) for a photo op.

And a forward view showing where I hit good wood and may splice in the stringers. It's not obvious but I have removed the inner stringer on the starboard side all the way up to the area that's cut out under the bow seat. I'm just about positive it started at the rear ski locker bulkhead drain hole and weeped forward from there. I am trying to avoid cutting the forward walkway (part of the cap) out. I can reach both sides of the stringer up there but it won't be fun or easy.

Soo, I have most of the stringers and bulkheads out and I am thinking about splicing in the stringers up front. As for the engine mounts I'm thinking of cutting out the bad parts and doing a glue or epoxy repair. So what do you all think?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

There's nothing wrong with sistering the stringers into the bow but...everthing from there back to the stern, IMHO should be totally and completely replaced with new. You're there and there's no reason not to.

Rickmerrill

There's nothing wrong with sistering the stringers into the bow but...everthing from there back to the stern, IMHO should be totally and completely replaced with new. You're there and there's no reason not to.

Thanks, again, for the reply. I assume by everything you are talking about the engine mounts?