Will 3M 5200 adhere to Epoxy

Macandrc

Cadet
Evening guys,

i am about to fix my new transom to my glastron CV19, the transom has had West Epoxy resin applied to seal the wood before fixing. Will 3M 5200 adhesive adhere to the epoxy coated ply? I am aware that polyester resin will not adhere to any surface with West Epoxy on it so want to check before i use the 5200 and attach the transom to the hull.

Last thing i want is to do all the work and the joint to fail:-(

Many thanks in advance.

colin

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will 3M 5200 adhere to Epoxy

Are you saying you're going to use 5200 to attach the transom to the hull?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Do you have any epoxy resin left?

Macandrc

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, You are correct i was panning to use 5200 to adhere the transom to the hull. I had read that it was good for the job would West epoxy be preferable for the job? I think i have enough left so could make a batch of thickened epoxy.

I am planning on doing all the glass work using polyester resin due to the cost of epoxy so obviously dont want to have any epoxy exposed to the surfaces going to have resin used. I only used epoxy for laminating the 3 layers of ply for the new transom for the additional strength it provides.

colin

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I'd thicken up a batch of epoxy and use it to bond the transom wood to the hull instead... much better build.

Macandrc

Cadet

Yeah, I'd thicken up a batch of epoxy and use it to bond the transom wood to the hull instead... much better build.

Ok i will use epoxy for bonding the ply to the skin of the hull and save the 5200 for the stringers, etc.

thanks for the help:)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm, 5200 is a Marine Sealant and quite Pricey. It would be cost prohibitive to use it to adhere a transom or stringers. Thickened Epoxy or "Peanut Butter" as we like to call it, would be a much better alternative. This link talks about the process, albeit, it speaks of using Polyester resin, the process is almost exactly the same.;)
"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

5200 is not a bonding agent just a sealant so good for sealing around screws and bolts that go through the transom, exhaust ports if you have those through the transom as well or seacocks.

jbcurt00

Staff member

3M rates 5200 as both an adhesive & a sealant

But I definitely agree, bonding the transom plywood to the fiberglass skin w/ it isn't an ideal application.

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Less than ideal is a bit of an understatement. If you use 3m5200 for major structural components, I think you will be very disappointed. Thicken up some epoxy with woodflour or the recommended thickener from west systems.

jbcurt00

Staff member

To be clearer:

DON"T USE 3M 5200 TO INSTALL YOUR TRANSOM.

sorry for any confusion. ^^^^ This was my intent.................. Forgot to add the eye roll smiley at the end of less then ideal
3a.png