Aeromarine or US composits

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im getting ready to purchase a bunch of epoxy to start the flagging of my new floor. Any preference as to the above 2 suppliers. Aero is west coast which isnt ideal for me since im in KY but im not in too big of a hurry.

Any thoughts

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: Aeromarine or US composits

I ordered polyester resin and glassing supplies form US Composites and I was very happy with the quality of the stuff and with the service. Iboats now sells resto supplies, but I haven't priced them to compare.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

I ordered mine from Aeromarine fast friendly and helpful, but then I am in Texas.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any thoughts on the amount of resin and glass I will need. Its a 23' open bow boat and im replacing just the floor and front seat structure.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

If you are replacing the floor because its soft and haven't check the stringers and transom yet everyone here will tell you that boats rot from the bottom up. I bought 3 gallons and used almost half of that on the Transom alone. If you are truly doing just floors and seat structures I would think that 3 gallons would be enough. Now that being said it would take probably 5-10 gallons of Poly instead of epoxy and would probably still cost less and be just as good.

Jayboat66

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ordered resin and fiberglass from fiberglasssupplydepot.com The service is good and they can give you good orientation about the product. 1-877-57 RESIN.

Axkiker

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are replacing the floor because its soft and haven't check the stringers and transom yet everyone here will tell you that boats rot from the bottom up. I bought 3 gallons and used almost half of that on the Transom alone. If you are truly doing just floors and seat structures I would think that 3 gallons would be enough. Now that being said it would take probably 5-10 gallons of Poly instead of epoxy and would probably still cost less and be just as good.

Yeah ive drilled a bunch of places and so far only need to address the floor. I really didnt need to replace the entire floor but I figured why not just go all out.

Any thoughts on glass. I hear people throw around different weights etc. What is recommended?

Thanks

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

The recommendation I followed was to use at least 8 oz. in covering the deck. I used 2 layers of 1.5 oz. CSM and one layer of 6 oz. woven. I really didn't like working with CSM much, so if I were doing it today, I'd probably use a couple layers of 1708 or some similar biaxial cloth, with the 6 oz. woven on top. The 6 oz. cloth gave it a bit of texture.