aluminum stripping and paint?

docyg2000

Seaman
Hey guy, I back with got 14ft v hull. I've began stripping the paint used air plane stripper for top coat and sanded bottom with 100grit. I have a couple of questions. Besides the rivets in the pic is it ready to paint. Or should get all the paint. I don't plan on painting again so wanna do it right. First timer.

In the second you can see where a hole has been filled, should I take that out a redo it? This boat has a lot of dings any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_00000047.jpg
    IMG_00000047.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_00000048.jpg
    IMG_00000048.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0

docyg2000

Seaman
Re: aluminum stripping and paint?

Another? It probably won't be finished til sunday
Got rain coming Monday should I cover with plastic or will it be ok. Also is there something I can put on the paint to make sanding easier. The sander I'm using is in the pic

I think I killed it, it's not as loud as it was when I started.

Attachments

• IMG_00000049.jpg
    IMG_00000049.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Another? It probably won't be finished til sunday
Got rain coming Monday should I cover with plastic or will it be ok. Also is there something I can put on the paint to make sanding easier. The sander I'm using is in the pic

I think I killed it, it's not as loud as it was when I started.

Even if you covered it with plastic its still going to oxidize. What you have sanded is probably already oxidized. Thats why I suggest using Alumiprep and Alodine on aluminum before the zinc chromate. But its ultimately up to you how you prep.

Check this out http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/steps-prep-aluminuim-pics-457159.html

Also..you can try a brass wire wheel on a grinder. Eye protection is an obvious must have.

Good luck.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

3M makes 3" rubber fingery disk made out of rubber with different grades of abrasives compounded in it. It worked well around rivit heads.
They can be found at auto paint supply or welding and metal finnishing supply stores. I really saves alot of time. I used it with a 4" right angle grinder

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If your talking about these Roloc Bristle Disc :3M US then yea..they do work good. I got a free sample from 3m when they first came out but they were the wire filled bristles. I guess you should make sure you get the Abrasive filled ones if your going to use them. Good call Star.