Where to buy polyester resin

richardh

Cadet
Any ideas where I could buy polyester resin from? I see I can order from UsComp and like, but shipping is crazy expensive on it.

Thanks,
Richard

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Where to buy polyester resin

Well Richard right here on Iboats sell it bein as it is listed as hazard for shipping any place that has to ship it to you will be expensive. you could try buying it locally for me it was cheaper to have it shipped from us composites then buy it locally and pick it up good luck

jbcurt00

Staff member

Any ideas where I could buy polyester resin from? I see I can order from UsComp and like, but shipping is crazy expensive on it. Thanks, Richard

W/out knowing where YOU are, it'd be hard to help ya find it less expensive.

Based on your other thread, Stringer Repair/Replaceyou'll need quite a bit of poly resin, so shop for large volumes, 4-5gal buckets & you'll need 3+ buckets.

Include iboats fiberglass resin's in your pricing search:
Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair

richardh

Cadet

Wow I never would have guessed I would need 15 gals to do the stringers and the deck. I honestly figured 5 would be plenty. I've never worked with fiberglass before.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you want, buy a pail at a time, as there are no discounts for buying multiple pails at once because they all ship separately.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

It's a tricky guessing game trying to figure out how much to buy. Nobody wants a bunch of left over resin, but few things are worse than having a wide open weekend to do some fiberglassing only to run out of resin...

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you want, buy a pail at a time, as there are no discounts for buying multiple pails at once because they all ship separately.

USC will ship 1 5gal container non-freight, I think, but more then 1 5gal HAS to go freight, and MUST be delivered to a business address, NOT residential. By weight, freight should be cheaper then UPS.

By the 5gal pail, the price per gal shouldn't make you be overly concerned about having 2gals leftover. Because JASinIL is right, it sucks to have a good weekend to work, and then you run short on resin.

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're doing all your stringers, bulkheads, and decking, you'll likely need at least 15-20 gallons, depending on how aggressive you are with the glassing. How big is your boat? Pics?

richardh

Cadet

Its a little 16ft bluewater blazer. open bow. I think it will take less than 3 sheets of ply wood for the floor. It has basically two stringers. I have a picture up under Stringer Repair\Replace.

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

mines a 19 ft and ill use another 5 at least so 15 is about right